questionable 2014 accord hybrid behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default questionable 2014 accord hybrid behavior

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum looking for some answers on my 2014 accord hybrid and was checking to see other owners experience. I really do like my new car and currently have 2500 miles on it. The only thing ruining my owners experience is some behavior I will describe. Perhaps ruin is to strong, perhaps mildly bothersome is better.

I've done probably 95% of my miles on the freeway. The behavior occurs while I'm traveling at 70mph, cruise control on, and a level freeway. For the most part the car is in power supplied by gas motor only but every so often the car will drop into power supplied by gas motor AND electric motor then a second later go back to gas motor only. Literally a second only in gas and electric motor and the car has a small slowdown and speed up surge during the two transitions between modes. If this happened once in a while no big deal but it can occur every couple of minutes or less. It's a bit annoying and I don't think it's what the car should be doing.

Does this sound like something anyone else has experienced with the 2014 hybrid? If so have you done anything about it?

This is really to bad as I like the car very much and either this is a software bug or some other kind of problem. Probably time to check with Honda.

While I'm at it I've averaged 40mpg for the 2500 miles I've driven it and every review I've see has gotten better mileage. I've been driving with a very light foot to see how well it could do and have rarely seen the blue light around the speedometer. I'm still happy, just wondering why everyone else gets such good mileage.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: questionable 2014 accord hybrid behavior

It sounds like an issue that can be fixed (or may have already been) by a software update. I would check with the dealer for an update. I don't have a HAH (yet) but this is one of the reasons I'm waiting for 2015 model year.

As for your mileage, if you want better than 40MPG then you probably don't want to go above 62MPH or so. The MPG on the HAH drops fast after 60MPH based on all the user and expert review's I've read.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

I would report this to your dealer, and have them drive your car to evaluate. The fact that you don't see the blue light around the speedometer tells me that something is not right. I normally drive about 50/50 city and highway, and average 48mpg on almost every tank. When I do take a trip, as we did recently, I drive Normally.......withing 10mph above the speedlimit, and still do quite well on mileage.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenb
For the most part the car is in power supplied by gas motor only but every so often the car will drop into power supplied by gas motor AND electric motor then a second later go back to gas motor only. Literally a second only in gas and electric motor and the car has a small slowdown and speed up surge during the two transitions between modes.
Just curious what the indications are when it is in gas only, and gas and electric mode? I just purchased one so I'm still learning about it. I have noticed mine go into all electric mode at 70 mph when the battery charge gets to about 3/4. It stays there for about a half mile.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: questionable 2014 accord hybrid behavior

Just purchased mine in May of 2014. I do not get anywhere near the estimated gas mileage. I drive probably 80% city and currently I'm getting 41.8 mpg for the last 4 tanks.

Let me know if you find out what the issue is. Not to mention mine has to go into the shop with currently 2200 miles for transmission issues. There is a noise coming from the front right hand side and they said it was transmission related but I don't think anyone at the Honda dealership knows how to work on the car.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

Well I don't know what trim level you have, but the Touring models have a trip computer display. When I have it displayed, I can tell by the current mileage readout if it's in gas mode or not. Other than that I do not notice any change when it goes between modes. The transition is imperceptible to me.

And to respond to the last post, I think someone is pulling your leg. These cars have no transmission. So I don't know what to tell you about that.

Alot has been said about strange noises and sensations, etc. Well, it is a hybrid afterall, and like any of them..........the DO sound and operate differently. Why? Well because they ARE different! I'm willing to be most of these sounds and sensations are just things people are not yet used too.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

Mine is the base model but it has the display screen etc. They have a transmission per sea an E-CVT. Basically when stopping or about to take off their is a popping noise on the right side and sometimes it sounds as though the brake isn't releasing on that side. Could be gripping and causing my mileage issues.

I will keep you posted after it goes into the shop if they ever get me the loaner available.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Yes, they call it an E-CVT, but it's linked up directly to the electric motor, so there really isn't a CVT in the traditional sense. Your hunch is probably correct about the brake on that side. Anyway I hope it's a quick fix for you.
I'm loving my car; had it since January. Just about every tank averages 48mpg without even trying to save gas. I'm no hypermiler either. I did notice that the mileage did increase as the outside temperature rose with the spring weather. That, they say is normal, due to the engine running longer to heat the interior, and a cold battery requires more charge. I have years experience driving a Prius, and I believe this car gets pretty much the same mileage as those do. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I might suggest to the OP that you try driving for awhile without using the cruise control. Since it is behaving strangely, perhaps it is wrecking your gas mileage. I don't have too many opportunities to turn on cruise control on my commute, but I have used it on occasion - and I have to say it doesn't seem like mpg is a priority on cruise control.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

To anyone dissatisfied with the mileage they are getting; are you sure you have the "eco-mode" switch turned on all the time? This is what charges your batteries every time you let up on the gas pedal. To buy a hybrid, and not use this feature and expect top mileage would be illogical.

Quick Reply: questionable 2014 accord hybrid behavior

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands