Pulsing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Pulsing brakes

HAs anyone had any front brake rotor warping? This one I'm looking at with 31k seemed to have the slightest brake pulse in the wheel and am wondering if this may be a normal condition with the regen brakes.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pulsing brakes

It's not due to "regen brakes." The regen takes place in the IMA motor, that's sandwiched between the motor and transmission.

My HAH showed a slight warpage around 20K. Repaired under warranty.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good to know. I wonder if this car's extended warranty is Honda or aftermarket.

Did Honda offer an extended warranty when taking delivery?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Honda (or, any auto manufacturer for that matter) offered the extended warranty at the point after you make the deal with the salesman/salesmanager, and before they send you to the finance office. That's where they try to sell you packages for extended warranties, window tinting, paint protection, car alarms, etc...

Just FYI, my HAH hasn't needed any repairs (other than the $27 power door lock actuator) that would have been covered by the extended warranty. And I have 60K on it now. I'm not sure how the different extended warranties from Honda stacks up, but when I bought my Odyssey, it came with a 7yr/100K extended warranty since it was a 'certified used car'. However, that extended warranty is only for the drivetrain. No one ever mentioned that when I bought the car. I had to find out after I had the car for a few weeks and decided to read what the warranty covered. The bumper to bumper was only up to 48K miles. I forget the year; probably 4. So, if that would have been the case for my HAH, if I had bought the extended warranty, then no the power lock actuator I just bought wouldn't have been covered.

Just food for thought.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

The owner said she was sold everything when she bought new-just need to find out from her or Honda if it was aftermarket or from Honda.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM

At 31K, Honda "should" cover resurfacing the rotors. But, since they're considered wear items, I don't know...

Actually, it wouldn't matter anymore, since she's probably past the 3 year period anyways. So, yeah. If you do buy her car, read through the warranty papers and see if rotor resurfacing is covered. I would imagine not, but I don't know anything about extended warranties, so I may be wrong.

If you do end up paying to get them resurfaced, I think I paid $110 at the dealership to have the rotors in my Odyssey resurfaced. A brake shop will probably be cheaper. Or, if you're able, take them off yourself and take them into an autoparts store that does resurfacing. The last time I was at Checker Auto, they charge $10 per rotor. If you buy brake pads, they charge $5 per rotor.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM

I'm not sure how effective machining the rotors will be at reducing the pulse, which is likely due to the rotor being out-of-true. Each machining will hasten it's journey to minimum thickness.

I wouldn't look on this as a deal breaker. "Slightest" pulse? I would just live with it, it might smooth out.

For under $50 you can pick up a micrometer, and dial gauge with magnetic stand, and see just what is happening. There are two factors: disk thickness and run-out, the latter meaning how much it wobbles. There are spec's for both. I can dig up some old ones, that should be similar.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone make good aftermarket rotors, maybe drilled? I've has some from ebay and some were fine and the last set from V12 motorsports had 3 bad out of 4. They nicely sent replacements but they were bad also-worse than what I initially took off!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK, now I own it, and the fronts rotors are warped. I've had some drilled ones from eboy in the past on other cars with different degrees of success. Anyone ever do this to theirs? And are they the same rotors as a non H accord?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

If the care is covered by a long HONDA CARE warranty the dealer can tell you that with a quick search of the vin number. Anyone can buy the coverage up to 3 years from date in service. Warranty coverage could still be possible if previous owner paid for it.

Don't think it covers rotors or brake pads. They are a wear item in almost all cases in which they have been in service for a few miles.

IMO if you do have extended coverage then it may be well worth using OEM parts so they can't play the blame game if the anti-skid or some other covered part of the system fails. Not that they would do that but just to eliminate any question.

Quick Reply: Pulsing brakes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands