Opportunity to buy an 05 at decent price, convince me :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Opportunity to buy an 05 at decent price, convince me :)

My wife and I already have a HCHII, which we've been quite happy with. As such, it has been our distance driver and handles most of the miles we run. One occasionally recurring complaint has been the lack of trunk pass-through. Which is a bit of a downer, I'm coming from a station wagon, so we kind of like having one car in which to haul "stuff".
To be honest, I hadn't planned on buying a car for probably 3 years or so.
But, after my current car crapped out on me mid-commute, I'm 90% sure it is time for someone else to be the proud owner.
So, having not planned to purchase anytime soon, I haven't nailed down my options yet (possibles include: trucks, sedans, crossovers, and small suvs mostly foreign) While looking around I came across this hybrid.
Here's the deal:
2005 with minimal exterior flaws(some minor scuffs and scratches), and nothing immediately noticed at idle. It does have 96,000 miles, which is of some concern.
Carfax shows 1 owner (partial service record list shows it was likely regularly serviced)
Asking is $9k
A quick look inside showed nothing obviously wrong and no major wear/tear.
I am somewhat torn, as it wasn't really something I was looking for, but appears to be a good deal and I imagine I would be satisfied with the performance and quality of the car.
So, like I said, convince me that this is the car to buy.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Opportunity to buy an 05 at decent price, convince me :)

No way dude, convince yourself!

Seriously, though. If you like it, buy it.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Buy the best condition one you can afford. #1 rule. I blew off a 57 Tbird for 17k w/100k miles and needing paint & who knows what else. Beter to spend 10-15 more and buy someone else's restoration depreciation...

Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hyperhypomiler
My wife and I already have a HCHII, which we've been quite happy with. As such, it has been our distance driver and handles most of the miles we run. One occasionally recurring complaint has been the lack of trunk pass-through. Which is a bit of a downer, I'm coming from a station wagon, so we kind of like having one car in which to haul "stuff".
To be honest, I hadn't planned on buying a car for probably 3 years or so.
But, after my current car crapped out on me mid-commute, I'm 90% sure it is time for someone else to be the proud owner.
So, having not planned to purchase anytime soon, I haven't nailed down my options yet (possibles include: trucks, sedans, crossovers, and small suvs mostly foreign) While looking around I came across this hybrid.
Here's the deal:
2005 with minimal exterior flaws(some minor scuffs and scratches), and nothing immediately noticed at idle. It does have 96,000 miles, which is of some concern.
Carfax shows 1 owner (partial service record list shows it was likely regularly serviced)
Asking is $9k
A quick look inside showed nothing obviously wrong and no major wear/tear.
I am somewhat torn, as it wasn't really something I was looking for, but appears to be a good deal and I imagine I would be satisfied with the performance and quality of the car.
So, like I said, convince me that this is the car to buy.
One thing about a Honda J30 with that number of miles is that you're due for a timing belt at a bit over 100K, as well as new plugs, coolant, trans service, etc. If it's been done, great. If you can DIY, OK, but a typical price of > $800 with water pump and other belts, factor in cost of the major service in if the asking price is really a great deal.

One item other folks have reported are issues with catalysts at over 100K miles - these also run several hundred to replace. Again, if it's been done, cool; it's a maintenance cost and critical if your state has emissions inspections.

IAC, I'd get a tech I trust to give the car a thorough going over to make sure it's all that it seems to be, and that you know the cost of pending repairs and maintenance. Knowing the short-term costs lets you budget appropriately - getting slapped with hundreds of unexpected expenses can be a nasty surprise.