Need Inverter module for Honda Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Need Inverter module for Honda Accord Hybrid

Can any one help me get my hands on an Inverter module for a Honda Accord Hybrid 2005 model year?
Any help would be greatly apprechiated.

Last edited by lars-ss; 05-26-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Need Inverter module for Honda Accord Hybrid

Why do you want one?

Old 05-26-2005, 02:11 PM

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Old 05-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Need Inverter module for Honda Accord Hybrid

I guess you can say I am one of those kind of guys that need to know how things work.

Obviously I do not want to take apart my own car, so I am looking for this inverter module to examine.
All I know is that it takes battery DC votage and somehow changes it to AC for the electric engine. Now I want to see what is in it.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

at the most basic level, an inverter consists of an oscillator that toggles a transistor on and off, switching the battery volatge on and off, generating a square wave between 0-144V (the AH is a 144V battery, right? A transformer and followon inductors and capacitors smooth the wave into a sinewave if necessary for, say, motor operation, and step the voltage to whatever is needed for operation.

I am very sure that much more sophisticated means are used by Honda, but thats the guts of it there. More transistors can also be used to produce multiple square waves of different amplitudes, mimicing a sinewave right off the bat.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just looked in the brochure for the HCH. It states that the motor is a brushless DC motor. Would there even be a need for a inverter?

Billy

Old 05-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Rarely post anything

For Hondaguy... this is from the service manual. There's a useful circuit diagram here, so rather than describe it...I've uploaded to the 'Share' section (that's the only way I could figure out how to embed in this post, though I've done it before...oh, well...)

Some acronyms:
SOC = State of Charge ( represented to you as the 'BAT' meter)
MCM = Motor Control Module (controls the IMA motor via the MPI - assist, regen, and IPU fan)
IPU = Intelligent Power Unit - (encompassing term for the various components in the compartment behind the rear seat)

See you guys after the holiday!

screen.width-80) {this.width=screen.width-80;this.alt='Full View';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='hand';" border="0">screen.width-80) {this.width=screen.width-80;this.alt='Full View';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='hand';" border="0">screen.width-80) {this.width=screen.width-80;this.alt='Full View';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='hand';" border="0">

Old 05-27-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by hondaguy
I guess you can say I am one of those kind of guys that need to know how things work.

Obviously I do not want to take apart my own car, so I am looking for this inverter module to examine.
All I know is that it takes battery DC votage and somehow changes it to AC for the electric engine. Now I want to see what is in it.
Thanks for your help.
I'm guessing that you will be dissapointed with what you find. Going from AC to DC takes 4 diodes that form a full wave rectifier. DC to AC is a little trickier but the parts are all solid state. Nothing moving. You can get a little inverter from Wal-Mart for like $50 if you want to see what is in one.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by billyt1963
I just looked in the brochure for the HCH. It states that the motor is a brushless DC motor. Would there even be a need for a inverter?

Billy
You are correct. If the brochure was correct than an inverter would not be needed.....But the IMA motor is a 3 phase AC motor, near as I can tell. It does have 3 wires going to it no?

EDIT

Insight Central mentions a brushless DC and a DC to DC converter....But check out this pic of the motor:

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enmotor.html

It has 3 terms and says 3-phase. I've never heard of 3-phase DC, in fact 3-phase DC is impossible.

Last edited by lakedude; 05-27-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:15 PM

All you need to know about the "inverter" can be found here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enmdm.html

Please notice that the IMA motor is 3 phase AC, as I suspected.