MPG Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default MPG Improvement

Since my wife left me with a 34.3 mpg tank with over 300 miles this morning, and I’ve had a tough time getting much over 33 mpg for my morning commute, I didn’t want to be the tank drag downer today.

After the car was warmed up, the ECO light on, and I was past the long, gradual incline that sucks about 2 mpg off tank average, I zeroed Trip B and watched ECO and the mpg carefully. The effects of “driving to load” were apparent, and the feedback was useful; Trip B showed 37.3 for 30 miles (got lucky and got all greens on the 4 lights coming into work).

I had an added 60 mile trip late in the day before the commute back home, and did the same thing. I waited until I was out of city traffic, the engine warm, and on a downhill in a 45 mph zone, and zeroed Trip B again and watched it and ECO closely for the next 58 miles.

I was startled at first to see Trip B show 55 mpg going downhill; it didn’t go away as fast as I expected, but it dropped steadily over rolling hills with some half mile gradual ups and downs, then slowed and stayed for a surprisingly long time–10 miles or so– at 42 mpg. After a long hill, it was down to 40, and I fully expected reality to set in and see it head on down to 34 or even 32 given the hills. But I kept watching Trip B and ECO and kept driving to load, and it never went below 40. Half the trip was in rain on two lane, and the traffic was running 55-60 mph; three small towns with 30-45 mph speed limits through them, no stops, and one 5 mile construction area at 45 mph helped, I’m sure. The bottom line: Trip B showed 41.1 after 58 miles.

Just got home about an hour ago with 75 miles on a new tank with half hour in steady rain and 15 miles of rough pavement, 50-65 mph most of the way; Trip computer shows 37.3 mpg.

None of this Trip B data is a tank, I know, and there was no stop and go, but the routes were not cake runs either. I just emailed someone this week that I was pleased to see some 34 mpg tanks, but that I didn’t see the car doing much better than that on the routes I drive most often.

Other than using Trip B for feedback, to account for the 37 and 41 mpg runs there are two other variables I’m aware of :
(1) the car just passed 5000 miles, and maybe we are getting break in benefits
(2) I had a check engine light serviced 6 days ago, and the Honda tech “rebooted” and “reset” (his terms) the engine control module

Whatever the cause, I’ll take the mileage, and I think I’ll keep playing with Trip B for awhile.
Lewis

Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Morning, Lewis. I use the trip B ALL the time - to see what I get in the city; on the highway; up a few hills; down some hills; with people in the car; into the wind; against the wind. Usefull? I don't know. I think so, but it's just more game factor, I guess.

One 11 mile stretch with an overall drop of ~400 feet and into town with a first stop at a traffic light, I received 74 mpg! The tank finished at ~36, but fun nonetheless.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Tink,
Reality bites back.
Same 30 mile stretch as yesterday that gave me 37 mpg: cooler, 15-25 mph headwind, one stop for errand, one traffic light stop and 31 mpg instead of 37.

I plan to check the overall elevation change on the route that gave the 41 mpg reading yesterday. I'm sceptical of the number since even driving with a zeroed Trip B for reference, I did not drive much differently than I usually do. I know that on my daily commute the 300' elevation change is so gradual that it's not obvious I'm hill climbing, but it's enough to make about 2 mpg difference in the trip up vs. the trip back.
Lewis

Old 04-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's amazing how much difference there can be on the same routes. I went to a track meet yesterday - About 120 miles round trip. On the way, 45 mph west texas head wind for 50 miles of west travel. THEN, after six hours of track-meet, the wind SHIFTS and there goes that make-up trip I was looking forward to. On my northern leg of 35 miles, STRAIGHT INTO it AGAIN - at least it had dropped to 35 by then. The rest of the trip both directions was side wind. I figure it cost me 4 to 5 mpg, AT LEAST....

Thought I was heading for another 36 mpg tank. Looks like somewhere around 34 now. Curses. Hoping for a good wind day today. That's my biggest boon or bust here. Fortunately, I always have quite a bit of light traffic hwy time.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ohhhh. AND a TUMBLEWEED nailed my two week old car in the parking lot. Scraped a *bit* of pin stripe and some minor scratches. Hopefully, can polish out - not sure.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tink
Ohhhh. AND a TUMBLEWEED nailed my two week old car in the parking lot. Scraped a *bit* of pin stripe and some minor scratches. Hopefully, can polish out - not sure.
I was very tempted to do a LOL, but then I remembered, it's a new car, be careful.... But this is a SO Texas story, a tumbleweed instead of a shopping cart....
Good luck with the scratch repair.
Lewis

Old 04-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you for your sensitivity... Ha!

Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tink
It's amazing how much difference there can be on the same routes. I went to a track meet yesterday - About 120 miles round trip. On the way, 45 mph west texas head wind for 50 miles of west travel. THEN, after six hours of track-meet, the wind SHIFTS and there goes that make-up trip I was looking forward to. On my northern leg of 35 miles, STRAIGHT INTO it AGAIN.
The only thing worse than catching a headwind both ways in a hybrid I can think of is the same kind of wind shift on a long out and back bicycle ride--the 'mpg reduction" comes right out of the legs. I have a couple of memorable such ride memories.

You are still getting some impressive mpg out of your HAH.
Lewis