Info. on Auto A/C setting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Info. on Auto A/C setting?

I just recently started trusting the "AUTO" setting on my A/C to decide how to run the A/C.

Does anyone have any insight into how it works? I have noticed that when it is much much (> 10 degrees) warmer outside than inside, that the A/C cranks up a bit. Definitely have noticed different fan speeds at different times.

Just curious if any of y'all understand what makes it tick.

Thanks,
Wes

Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Info. on Auto A/C setting?

All I know is that it will do whatever is necessary to achieve and then maintain a set temp. If it thinks another notch of fan speed will do the trick, it does it. It will go into recirc by itself when ambient is over 85, I think?

I never use auto- would rather run AC in recirc on low fan speed all the time, the few times I do use it. I prefer having all 4 windows cracked an inch or so when on the hwy.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:27 PM

Does this car ONLY have the electric A/C? Meaning, do we have a standard A/C compressor that runs when the ICE is on?

Old 11-26-2005, 07:03 PM

Well, here's a good-sized hint:

The compressor is sitting on the passenger side, very front, and is the only thing in the engine compartment that has both a belt and big orange conduit running to it.

(It's run by both the engine and 144VDC- a hybrid AC on your hybrid car! clever, eh?)

Old 11-26-2005, 10:17 PM

Yeah, I guess I should have looked under the hood before asking that question.

I was wondering because, my MPG doesn't seem to matter if I run the A/C or not. At least, it hasn't affected my usual commute MPG.

I do, feel the change in air when the car autostops. I wouldn't say the temp changes, but the feel of the air does. I don't know how to explain it.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I do, feel the change in air when the car autostops. I wouldn't say the temp changes, but the feel of the air does. I don't know how to explain it.
The fan speed reduces and the AC compressor switches to electric mode. That would explain the difference in "feel" of the A/C.

As a side note, if you have the fan speed turned all the way up manually that can disable Auto Stop...

Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

I have recently been parking my car at the curb overnight and have noticed something I thought was kind of strange with the A/C. In some colder mornings (well cold for California), the temp is around 55 degrees or so. And on those mornings, I don't even have the heat on and I will feel hot air coming from the vents. Is this hot air based on the last temp setting, say 75 degrees or whatever temp I left it at last time? And on the contrary, on some warm days I go to turn on the A/C to cool down the car and I will still get warm air. These 2 "problems" generally occur first thing in the morning though. Any thoughts?