HOV Lane Usage in VA (Hampton Roads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default HOV Lane Usage in VA (Hampton Roads)

I have done plenty of research on this touchy subject, but does anyone know if the 2005 HAH is eligible for the Clean Special Fuel Plates? They list the 2006 HAH, but not the 2005 HAH.

I saw that there were several hybrid SUVs on the list? What gives? My 2005 HAH gets better gas mileage than those. I have driven on I-64 in the Hampton Roads area without the "special" plate and have been pulled over by the state police several times (they can't readily tell that my car is a hybrid), but they have always cut me a break since they noticed my car was a hybrid once I was pulled over (not sure how long this will last).

Anyone else have any experience with this (driving in the HOV lanes with a 2005 HAH)? I know that after July 1st, 2006 all new clean special fuel license plates will be different and will not be able to use the HOV lanes in the I-95 and 395 corridors. The basic law for Hampton Roads will remain in effect until July 1st, 2007. Of course, the fines for violating HOV lanes go up as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HOV Lane Usage in VA (Hampton Roads)

I'm sure it is. Fax in your application. The worst they'll do is deny it.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The last I checked, the '05 HAH didn't qualify. I wonder why the '06 HAH made the list and not the '05?

But I do know I-95 and I-395 aren't in Hampton Roads.

In AZ, no hybrids are eligible for the alternative fuels plates. Which, are more fuel efficient than these F-350s, Tahoes, and Expeditions that DO qualify just because they have the "option" to run on propane... WTF?!

Old 07-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Has to do apparently with the way it was programmed. 06 did qualify (albeit late, and only after the reprogram), 05 didn't.

Remember, the clean fuel plates are about more than just fuel economy, they're about emissions. Other vehicles may get better gas mileage, but they aren't PZEV like my Camry Hybrid.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

I talked with the "clean fuel" plate people at the DMV. The 05 Accord IS on the list - at least the person I talked with said so. I faxed in my form and I should get the "new" clean fuel plates. These are different than those issued prior to 1 July 06 because now only those issued prior to July 1, 2006 can drive on the I-95/I-395 corridor (glad to be stationed in Norfolk). This way the police can tell which clean fuel plated hybrids are obeying the HOV law change that went into effect July 1st. Of course, this law may become null and void in a year, although they keep extending it.

I will say that being able to drive in the HOV is a nice benefit, but I will admit I can't blame those that disagree with letting hybrids have that option.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAK92
I will say that being able to drive in the HOV is a nice benefit, but I will admit I can't blame those that disagree with letting hybrids have that option.
The HOV lanes between the beach expressway and *** are getting more and more clogged each year. When they first built it, it was a breeze to drive through Norfolk. But as the years passed by, more and more traffic seemed to clog it to the point where a lot of the times the regular lanes are faster.

And only being two lanes wide, an accident has shut down that road on many occasions.

Perhaps they should make it like the metro DC area? Three or more occupants. On any given day, how many people do you see in the other cars in the HOV lane?