Green Eco Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Green Eco Light

What are the parameters for the green eco light to come on? I have noticed it come on when my instantaneous fuel economy is anywhere from 20 to 80 MPG. I can also feel when the variable cylinder management kicks in, and the green light is often on before the VCM kicks in. It seems to me like the green light really doesn't mean anything.
Thoughts?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Green Eco Light

The Eco light is supposed to illuminate when the vehicle reaches an economical range. ...whatever that means. It's not solely based on speed, MPG, or VCM. Perhaps a combination of those (and other) factors? No one truly knows. We've talked about that before on this forum and we've all read contradicting articles on it.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Green Eco Light

With the help of my Scangauge, I tried to see what would trigger the ECO light in the HAH. From what I can tell, anytime the MPG is 24 or better, the ECO light illuminates.

The transition from 6 to 3 cylinders is so slight that most of the time I couldn't tell if it happened or not, so I have no idea if that's a factor or not.

I tried to see if ECO is tied into speed and decided again it's more than likely related to MPG and not MPH. At 75 and sometimes even at 80 MPH, I can get the ECO light on. But only when MPGs are 24 or better.

So over the course of two tanks of fuel, the best I can tell is ECO is set anytime you're doing greater than or equal to 24 MPG.

On a side note, if you have the NAVI, I'm sure you've seen your Fuel Consumption Display (FCD) under the Trip Computer page. There's a bar graph of approximate MPG, graduated to every 5 MPG. From what I can tell on the Scangauge, which I believe is pretty accurate (since after every tank, you basically 'recalibrate' it when you enter in how many gallons it takes to fuel up) the FCD is VERY inaccurate. My Scangauge would say 32 MPG and the FCD would say approximately 45-50 MPG, and never drop below 40 MPG. It would seem if I were truly getting 32 MPG, the FCD would bounce back and forth between 30-35 MPG.

If anybody else has a Scangauge, please do your own testing and let us know what you come up with.