FM Radio Static, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default FM Radio Static, anyone?

Does anyone else hear static on their FM radio? I continue to have this problem, which I have posted about on other boards. So far nobody else has reported it, but I haven't posted about it here, and it's been a while since I posted elsewhere, so maybe by now someone else here hears it.

The static sounds like someone crinkling a plastic grocery bag. It occurs on all the FM stations I have tried, but is most noticeable on the NPR station and the classical station, both of which have silent periods. The static seems to be highly correlated with when the electric assist is on (blue lights on the dash), although I get it some other times too. The static happens regardless of whether I am in good RF coverage area or not.

I had the car at the Honda dealer for a very long time in January when they tried to figure out the problem, with the help of the American Honda tech support people. In the end, the American Honda rep told me that "it is a characteristic of the car." In other words, it's a bug, and they don't have a fix for it. They also didn't give me a timetable for a planned fix. They said they are able to reproduce it on other HAHs. As a consolation, they did agree to pay for one year of XM Radio subscription.

So ... does anyone else have this problem? Mine is non-NAVI, FWIW.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FM Radio Static, anyone?

for a year of XM, I'll take some static! Not having seen (heard) this problem, my opinion might differ if I had to suffer through it.

Their reason sounds plausible enough, and at least they admitted they have see it before. The probable solution is a little shielding on the '06.