First Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Oil change

7500 is not that much. BMW and Audi recommend 10K oil change intervals with dyno oils but they have better filtration systems. I always changed oil at about 6-7K (synthetic)

Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by Mitaka
7500 is not that much. BMW and Audi recommend 10K oil change intervals with dyno oils but they have better filtration systems. I always changed oil at about 6-7K (synthetic)
BMW was a little bit easier to do the oil changes on (let's ignore the ~ $150 cost of an oil change at a BMW center!) because the computer in the car sets the service intervals, based on the way you drive. So every time you start the car, it tells you how many more miles you have before it's time to drive into the dealer and open another vein

Hmmm.... no more $150 oil changes and no more Premium Unleaded.... now WHY was it I was feeling bad about spending nearly 30 Grand on a HONDA?

Old 12-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
Hmmm.... no more $150 oil changes and no more Premium Unleaded.... now WHY was it I was feeling bad about spending nearly 30 Grand on a HONDA?
You are right about that. Every little thing that broke on my on my A8 was at least $750. I am used to that number being an inexpensive repair. I knew it was right time to dump the AUDI after getting the estimate for the timing belt service.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think people forget that back 30 years ago, the general consensus was that, at 100,000 miles, your car was D-E-D dead, go ahead and dig a hole six feet deep and drive the Coupe DeVille in face first.
So, I should be making final preparations for my '59 Ford with 96K miles on her?

She lived a good life...

Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 PM

...because the computer in the car sets the service intervals, based on the way you drive.
Acura has that feature. I wish it filtered down into the Honda line.

It's called Maintenance Minder (IIRC). It bases your maintenance schedule on variables such as temps, mileage, age, and actual usage. It also groups services together so when you go in for maintenance, you can get a few different items taken care of at once, instead of coming back every few weeks or so.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 PM

apparently the HCHII does?
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ance.4912.html
post#7

Old 12-12-2005, 07:27 PM

Nice!

****, wish the '05 HAH had that. Wonder if the '06 HAH will?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Nice!

****, wish the '05 HAH had that. Wonder if the '06 HAH will?
The 05 HAH does something similar - I remeber reading about it when I sat down Sunday to RTFM on the car and read up on all the gizmology. It might be JUST the oil change interval though, because the instructions in the manual are how to reset the idiot light on the instrument panel once it's triggered.

With the BMW, it could only be set by the BMW center (or somebody who had the tool to reset the thing) and ... if you DIDN'T do that, it would eventually disable the car until you got the service done/got th e"fault" light reset.

Nothing like building up your repeat customers with the barrel of a gun

Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mitaka
You are right about that. Every little thing that broke on my on my A8 was at least $750. I am used to that number being an inexpensive repair. I knew it was right time to dump the AUDI after getting the estimate for the timing belt service.
Ah yes - That's the lesson I learned about NEVER buying a car without a warranty on it, with the first BMW. I learned that there are two types of repairs for those cars: the $600 repair and the $2500 repair. When it got to the point that I needed to get one of the $600s and TWO of the $2500s all at the same time, I knew it was time to move up. I dropped it to get the Certified Pre-Owned (what a great program!) that I just traded this week for the HAH.

The second car went SO much better because no matter WHAT fell off the car, it wasn't going to cost me more than $50.

And now, I've got a nice ZERO deductible for (in theory) the next six years ( I doubt seriously that will happen because I can't seem to keep a car THREE years running!)

And since we bought the 03 HCH with an extended warranty too, I can't really tell you anything about what it costs to "fix" a Honda (we've done nothing in the shop with that one beyond oil changes, tire rotations, and state inspection.)

Old 12-12-2005, 07:44 PM

The HAH has a reminder based on mileage, not actual usage.

I don't recall the first reminder, but the second reminder is when you reach 7,500 miles. The first reminder flashes the maintenance required light a few times at startup. The second reminder leaves the maintenance required light on.

Quick Reply: First Oil change

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands