Engine Problems Force Honda Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine Problems Force Honda Recall

Looks like some of us will be getting recall notices. I wonder where the fuel pump relay is located?

"Honda Motor Corp. said Monday that it was recalling about 165,000 vehicles from the 2005-06 model years in the United States to deal with potential engine problems.

Honda said the recall affected 2005 models of the Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans, 2005 Honda Accord coupes, sedans and hybrids, 2005 Odyssey minivans and 2006 Ridgeline trucks.

Martin said the automaker discovered that sealer material leaked onto a coil wire inside the fuel pump relay on some of the vehicles. The wire can become brittle and snap, causing the engine to stall or fail to start. Dealers will inspect and replace the fuel pump relay free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in early April."

Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Problems Force Honda Recall

Wow, I have two of the vehicles in that list...

Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 PM

My '05 Ody wasn't included in the affected VINs. However, my '05 HAH was.

I just got the car back from the dealer. The title of this thread is incorrect. It's really not an engine problem. Just a simple relay. The title should actually read, "A Fuel Pump Relay May Cause Engine No-Start or Stalling."

The fuel pump relay is located in the driver side kick panel. If you look into the fuseblock, it's a large yellow relay in the top left of the fuseblock.

Something else I noticed about this recall: The original letter I received said if this relay failed, it could cause a crash. Well... yeah, I suppose if the car stalled on you then the possibility of the car coming to a stop in a most inopportune time does exist. Say, like in the middle of an intersection. However, how the letter read was kinda like if the relay failed then the car could possibly burst into flames, change tidal patterns, and increase global warming.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry about the title. I was a little lazy and just used the title of the article on salon.com.

I went to Honda's owner link and my car has no recalls. I purchased mine in March 2005. Just curious if you bought yours before that date?

Sounds like Honda wants to make sure people are scared into bringing their cars in for the recall.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 PM

I figured that's where the title came from. It sounded like a journalistic title. Meant to grab one's attention. Those misleadin' creeps.

The recall was only for cars that fell into a particular VIN range. I don't have that information. But if you don't see anything under Recalls in OwnerLink, then it sounds like your car is okay. I bought mine Aug '05. I don't recall the build date. I think it was Apr '05. I guess during that time, Honda used a different brand relay. The service manager showed me the recall information at the dealership. I don't recall the name of the faulty relays and the name of the good relays. But if I were to see the names again, I could probably pick them out. They were japanese names.