Engine Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Engine Malfunction

Originally Posted by tsienville
It may take some time before the issue starts. I've seen reports that this problem starts anywhere between about 700 miles and 5000 miles. Mine took a while to start this problem (around 2500 miles if I recall correctly).

I hope yours does not do this. I drive mine easy, but have tried easy and driving with attitude and the backfiring occurs both ways. In fact, it is much more noticable under hard acceleration because the engine cuts out during the backfire in the acceleration band. So its like vroooooom.....urp...hiccup..kapow....vroooom.
According to this Post then I hope it does not either. I would get an (Immediate-Attitude).

I thought one could work around it by just going ahead and taking off and not taken off slowly. This is not good then.

Terry

Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Malfunction

Could the problem possibly be fuel related? When fuel tank is near empty, try premium from a different station.

I know the manual suggests not putting anything in the fuel tank, but, if this were say water in the fuel, it needs to come out some how.

I am not saying any of the above are the reasons for your problems, just suggestions seeing as Honda doesnt have any.

I sure hope my o5 HAH doesnt catch this problem. To date, its been flawless.

Best of luck with your problems,

Tony

Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
G.H. Contributor

Originally Posted by TonyK
Could the problem possibly be fuel related? When fuel tank is near empty, try premium from a different station.

I know the manual suggests not putting anything in the fuel tank, but, if this were say water in the fuel, it needs to come out some how.

I am not saying any of the above are the reasons for your problems, just suggestions seeing as Honda doesnt have any.

I sure hope my o5 HAH doesnt catch this problem. To date, its been flawless.

Best of luck with your problems,

Tony
I think I read something where in the HAH that if you ran 93 Octane the electronics would reset and adjust to the higher grade of fuel.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am sure the HAH would adjust to the fuel, the question is, will it help resolve the problem these folks are having with their car.

I have used it in the past confirming that the mpg would or would not be improved by using max octane. Performance was increased, in my case, mpg stayed the same.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Performance was increased, in my case, mpg stayed the same.
How did you measure the performance increase?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

bar10dah,

The increase couldnt be measured but felt when when cruising up the daily inclines and while passing.

Very unscientific, but very noticeable, yet not worth it, imo. Both my o2 Prius and the HAH ran better with premium, but without mpg gains.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 AM
G.H. Contributor

bar10dah,

The increase couldnt be measured but felt when when cruising up the daily inclines and while passing.

Very unscientific, but very noticeable, yet not worth it, imo. Both my o2 Prius and the HAH ran better with premium, but without mpg gains.
I might have tried the 93 Octane Gas if there was not so much difference in "Price"

I guess I will just use the 87 Octane and forget it. Truthfully this Accord Hybrid is so much Faster than my HCH II that it is like comparing a Chevy Aveo to the Accord Hybrid with 255 HP.

Terry

Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 AM

bar10dah,

The reason I ask is that 255hp to 265hp (Honda-Acura says using premium fuel adds approximately 10hp to these, and a few other, motors) will more than likely be not noticeable by "seat of the pants" testing. Most of the time, users tend to "feel" an increase in power when they make a performance change in their car because of a percieved effect. They expect a change, so they comprehend it that way. I saw it a lot at the drag strip. Someone would make a change to their car and because it changed the way the car sounded. But then on their next pass down the strip, their car is a whole second slower... I'm not saying you're wrong, I was just curious how you did your testing because it might help me decide how to do my own testing.

I have an accelerometer and can check if there are performance gains. However, I don't know how long it takes for the ECU to change the timing points when the octane changes. As far as I know, it just retards the timing and advances it if the knock sensor detects detonation. But, how fast does that all work? I'm afraid if I did a few runs on 87 octance then filled up on 91 octane, other factors would change significantly enough to not give a good comparison by the time the car adjusts to 91 octane. It would be very hard for me to make a good comparison.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know and I'll be happy to gather some data.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Keith,

I agree 100%, its all possibly perception. I and my wife would notice that the engine could stay in economy mode while cruising up the hills that normally kick in the other 3 cyls. There is a definite boost which we think can be felt.
While it could be in my head, I lean to it not being the case.

My guess is the engine is always sampling the fuel and testing how much advance it can get by with before knocking. I have nothing concrete to back my thoughts on this either. I doubt it updates once a day like a virus pgm on a pc. Too bad there isnt an 'update now' button on board.

While I like the performance of premium, I will not pay the price if there is nothing to be gained in the way of mpg.

We tried this also on road trips from Florida to Houston and to Kansas City, MO. At least 1000miles each way set at 75mph and could not achieve any noticeable improvement in mpg.

I also have a scanguage and was trying to see once if I could sense engine parameter changes, but my results are long forgotten and kinda gave up on it.

It runs PERFECTLY on anything it has been fed so far. Hope it stays this way.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM

I ran 86 octane a few times (which is the minimum for this car) and also didn't notice any performance losses. Once I ran 88 octane. But I've never run 91 octane. I just might have to try a couple tanks of 91 to see if anything changes for me. However, it will be hard to make a comparison as traffic, temperatures, routes, elevation, and even driving habits are constantly changing. I usually fill up with 12-13 gallons, so the increased cost for premium fuel would only be about $2.50 per tank. If I've understood correctly, most fuel companies add better detergents to their premium fuels. So, perhaps I'll be breaking about even on the cost-benefit gains. I haven't bought any gas treatments or fuel injector cleaners in a while. They're about $2.50 a bottle still, right? Maybe at 38K, my car could use some detergents in the fuel.

Quick Reply: Engine Malfunction

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands