Driving Style

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Driving Style

I apologize if this has been beat to death, but, I am shopping for a hybrid auto to replace my VW GTI. I am sure none will give me the performance of my GTI but I hope to get considerably better mpg. My question is does the HAH perform better than the Fusion or Camry? I have drove both of them and was wondering how the Accord stacked up. How do you achieve the mileage they claim to get? Do you really have to drive like an 80 year old granny to do this? Thank you for your replies, I am new to the hybrid world and need some good advice. If I am going to do this it will happen soon.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving Style

Originally Posted by wiliturk
I apologize if this has been beat to death, but, I am shopping for a hybrid auto to replace my VW GTI. I am sure none will give me the performance of my GTI but I hope to get considerably better mpg. My question is does the HAH perform better than the Fusion or Camry? I have drove both of them and was wondering how the Accord stacked up. How do you achieve the mileage they claim to get? Do you really have to drive like an 80 year old granny to do this? Thank you for your replies, I am new to the hybrid world and need some good advice. If I am going to do this it will happen soon.
The older HAH is an absolute rocket. 260HP and 0-60 in under 7. I have no idea about the new ones.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just picked up my HAH Touring Friday and I'm loving it. Just set the cruise on 65 and you'll get 45 mpg no sweat. I can't remember if it was Motor Trend or Car & Driver got 7.1 sec 0 to 60mph. I traded in a 2005 HAH and that got 6.7 sec 0 to 60 according to Car & Driver. The 2014 HAH will definitely beat the Camry and Fusion when it comes to mpg. If you put the cruise on when you reach 25 mph, it will keep the car accelerating to your chosen speed in EV mode until you run out of battery. Much better than doing it yourself. I've still got a lot to explore on this car, but so far I'm very impressed.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies. 45 MPG would be 3 times the mileage of my wifes daily driver, a Toyota Sienna. To do it I will have to give up my GTI, and that hurts. I am seriously considering it though as I have already got three tickets in it.
One question, the stereo in your Accord Touring, is it decent quality?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:31 AM
Enthusiast

I just picked up the ex-l and I'm very impressed. With a range of over 700 miles/tank I'm still on my first tank of gas. For trips over say 5 miles, I get anywhere between 40 and 60 ( yes, 60.3 for a 6 mile cross town jaunt). 14 miles to work mixed hwy/city I get 50 to work, 44 home.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

The pedal-mashing performance of the GTI is going to be better than the Accord Hybrid, because the GTI is a lightweight performance car, and the Accord Hybrid is an extremely fuel efficient sedan. There's just no way around that.

However, FOR a hybrid sedan, especially one that easily clocks 45-55 MPG, its performance is outstanding. Zero to sixty in just about seven seconds is no slouch for any family sedan—for one with a hybrid engine? That's almost unheard of outside of Honda.

It will be a different experience than the GTI to be sure, but if you are looking at making the move to a family vehicle from the "fun car," you couldn't do much better than the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid as far as I'm concerned. The alternative you might want to consider is the VW TDI Passat to get somewhat similar mileage, but as you know with VWs, the service bills are tremendous compared to the Honda, they don't have the same reliability, and diesel is generally much more expensive than regular unleaded. Plus, the TDI Passat adds another second and a half or so to your zero to sixty time if that's a concern.

If you're ready to step out of the sports car mode, the HAH is an excellent choice. If not, no hybrid or sedan will please you most likely, and you might want to stick with what you have.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:51 AM
Enthusiast

Despite what Consumer Reports Magazine claims in their latest edition; The 2014 Accord Hybrid DOES reach it's claimed mileage of 48mpg! I've owned one since January, and continue to be amazed at what this car can do! The car accelerates briskly, and it's fun to do that, HOWEVER if you do that ALL THE TIME, you will only achieve the 40mpg that Consumer Reports Magazine claims. BUT, if you drive within 10mph above the speed limit, and basically "drive normally" you WILL achieve the 48mpg average per tank of gas.
Anyone who knows me, will tell you that I am a spirited driver, maybe even an aggressive driver at times, (sorry).
As a long time subscriber to Consumer Reports, I'm dismayed to see that they've gone the way of tabloid journalism to sell magazines. This erroneous reporting will undoubtedly do that for them.