Old 05-16-2005, 07:45 PM
cmw
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone buy the spare tire?

Originally Posted by merlin180
Hi All,

>> Wheel kit, Part # 06421-SDR-A00 List Price $ 123.60
>> Spare Tire, Part # 42751-GYR-035 List Price $ 69.48

I too am planning on going this route. Several people here say they have ordered the above Honda parts...

1) Did they arrive as expected and fit etc OK ?
2) Did the rubber come already mounted on the rim ?

TIA

1) Yes
2) No

Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Why couldn't a person get the spare tray and then find a spare for a 6cyl at the salvage yard? I'm sure they can't hardly give them away. That would make it a lot less expensive. I'm going to look into this soon.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
cmw
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperC
Why couldn't a person get the spare tray and then find a spare for a 6cyl at the salvage yard? I'm sure they can't hardly give them away. That would make it a lot less expensive. I'm going to look into this soon.
That should work, but I'm not sure you can buy the tray separately...it comes in the kit with the wheel. Actually, you don't really need the tray if you can figure out how to secure the jack somewhere.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Anyone buy the spare tire?

I am a bit confused. Can someone explain the difference between the wheel kit and the spare tire. I spoke w/a dealer and he said the wheel kit has everything except the tire, they don't sell the tire. I would have to go to a tire shop and have them mount the tire on the rim. Does this seem right?

Thanks for any input.
Laura

Old 05-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Rarely post anything

Bugsndaffy:

Your dealer's telling truth, as far as the info they have available. See the earlier posts for the SKU for the tire itself. Your dealer probably can't find it because it's such an obscure item, and it's likely not made their online parts catalog as graphic display (but the following SKU will come up in their computer, should they input it - Part # 42751-GYR-035 List Price $ 69.48)

Note that there was a recent memo distributed from the parts division - your dealer may not have gotten their copy yet. Originally, the 'wheel kit' was the only available part; HoA then figured out that people might actually like the *tire*, and created a separate SKU for it. Why in the world they don't just include it by default in the 'wheel kit' from this point forward, and make the previous owners whole by reimbursing / providing the tire, is beyond me.

Before you order the tire (and / or the wheel kit, for that matter), make sure your dealer has the mounting equipment so that they can mount the tire. The sourcing dealer where I had my last oil change done reported that they didn't have mounting equipment for space-saver spares - only full-size tires

The prior posts in this thread describe sourcing the parts from local salvage yards, etc - I think many of us who have travelled this particular journey have deemed it the better / easier / cheaper way to go.

That being said...if you're insistent on obtaining the parts 'as new' - I have my wheel kit that I'd make you a deal on - you'd still have to get the spare tire and have it mounted. Again, though...why do that ?

Old 06-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone tried purchasing the spare recently? The last time I checked w/my dealer it was on back order, that was in mid May. I'm going to try again in a few days. I was wondering if it's more readily available. A month ago no one knew what I was talking about.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Bugsndaffy
I got mine a week or two ago. One of my local Honda dealers said they'd have to special order it, but the other dealer had 2-3 in stock because "they seem to be popular" - no kidding!

Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Spare Tire Nightmare......when will it end?

Hi All,
Here I am again, this time to vent. I can't believe the run around i'm getting re: the spare tire. I finally ordered the wheel kit and now i'm trying to get the tire situation straightened out. For some reason every dealer I have called cannot order the tire for me, even though I have a Honda part number. No wait, one dealer would, but I had to wait almost a month. Is it really that hard to get a tire? I finally called my tire store and they said if I brought in the rim they would fit a tire on it for me. Unbelievable what Honda is putting us HAH owners through. I hope the next HAH generation doesn't have to go through all of this.
Thanks for listening,
Bugsndaffy

Old 11-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

I want a spare. The drill on using the compressor/fixleak setup is intimidating. But I'm not sure I have this right...I should try to get the tray but not the wheel or tire, and then get a wheel and tire at the junkyard? And I assume we're talking donut spares, not real tires? I have a separate set of studs for winter, so I could use one of those as a spare if it would fit in the tray, etc. What is the best plan of action?

Old 11-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

The tray sits on TOP of the spare to hold the jack etc.

If you already have the car and "spare" (stud) I'd think all you need to do is just see if it fits in the recess in the trunk.

I feel much better now I have the (donut) spare wheel from the dealer (the tray comes with it). Also had to get the rubber tire as a seperate item as well - Total of about $200 which is rather a lot for something that should have come with the car - the gunk won't help in the case of a tire shreaded by a pothole, which is what happened to me last time I needed a spare

Quick Reply: Anyone buy the spare tire?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands