2005 Hybrid IMA System Light ON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2005 Hybrid IMA System Light ON!!!

Oh boy, my IMA System light just came on and I've got 215K on it. I went and had this thing tested about the beginning of the year and all was fine. Anyone know if theres other problems can also cause this light to come on? Also, the Malfunction Indicator lamp is on so I've got a double whammy hitting me at the same time.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Hybrid IMA System Light ON!!!

Originally Posted by lebloom
Oh boy, my IMA System light just came on and I've got 215K on it. I went and had this thing tested about the beginning of the year and all was fine. Anyone know if theres other problems can also cause this light to come on? Also, the Malfunction Indicator lamp is on so I've got a double whammy hitting me at the same time.
I had both the IMA and Check Engine lights come on from time to time a while back. Checked the codes and it was throwing all sorts of seemingly random codes that didn't seem to make much sense.

After much hand-ringing and worry it turns out it was a loose electrical connection at the battery cable bundle. Took 15 minutes to fix and he charged me $85 for diagnostic. Apparently the intermittent connection was throwing the computer for a loop and caused it to go into 'limp mode'.

Just one guy's experience.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I just got back from the Honda shop and pretty much all they did were to reset the system and tell me if it happens again I'll need to replace the IMA battery. They're asking $2700 for that new IMA battery, $2700...! The last time I heard it was only $1000 and I can't remember where I heard that. I've nearly paid for this car and now this. I suppose $2700 would be better than $30,000 for a new vehicle but...

Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't believe it was ever $1,000. Back in 2005, the projections were that the costs would come down to around $1,500, down from $3,000. But, guess that never happened.

If it's been an otherwise good car, it may be worth it to suck it up and spend the $2,700 for the next 215K miles. Or, if you don't want to spend that kind of cash on the battery pack, maybe the best bet would be to trade it in on another vehicle and let the dealer worry about selling the car out at auction. I doubt a dealer will put a hybrid on their resale lot with such high mileage. They'll more than likely sell it at auction to someone that specializes in rebuilding and reselling cars. Yes, it sucks. But would be your best option if you want to avoid paying $2,700 for a new IMA battery pack.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I just may pay the $2700 but am going to hold off for a while. This car has been a pretty good car and I need to repair some items in it. I need to repair those little lights in the doors for the push buttons. You know what ones I'm talking about? Got any idea how to replace them?

I've put 2 sets of tires since I bought this used with 70k on it and I'm there again. Not sure if I want Michelein or not.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM

The circuit diagram in the service manual says they're LEDs, but don't say what type. Also, the graphic shows the whole door multiplexer control unit comes out of the door as one whole piece, and doesn't go into further breakout. Appears it might be a (practically) sealed unit.

I'm sure you could take it apart and solder in new LEDs, if those are truly out. However, may just be an open in continuity somewhere in that multiplexer. LEDs should last something crazy, like, 50,000 hours.

Are all the lights out on the door multiplexer control unit? If so, I'd definitely say there's an open, as all the LEDs are in series. Could be a break of continuity in a wire or a break of continuity in a single LED. If the power can't get through, none of the lights will light up.

There may be more in the service manual. I didn't dive too far into it. That's just what I could find by looking up the interior lighting in the table of contents.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, after this coding I have only ONE switch that illuminates. I think there were at least 3 before this happened. The one code was for High Volt Battery Capacity Serious Deterioration so maybe that did it to the LED.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got an intermittent problem here. I now notice those LEDs on the arm rest are now on, not all but most of them. It's time to find a service manual I'd say. I'm not wanting to buy new as of yet so I need to replace something here.

The LEDs on the steering wheel are now also dimming too. When it rains it pours don't it? Anyone ever take the inside door cover off? Got to be hidden screws holding it on.

The service manual have all I need or are there others I'll need?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 PM

The service manual should be the only book you need. I've used it extensively to take different things apart in my car.

Look at this thread to get an idea of how to get the door panel off:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tor-hah-21153/