HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Wish we had these options here

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Wish we had these options here

Originally Posted by zimbop
Yes hardly works. Like the post above, they can break into my house and get the keys as easily as they can break into the car. There's a zillion ways to steal a car and the motivated thieves get it done no matter what the challenges, and frankly I'd rather they hotwire the car and take it than have them break into my house.

So I am not willing to give up a lot of convenience for a largely ineffective attempt to prevent an unlikely theft of my car. One can go to extremes trying to protect themselves from perceived dangers, but I'd rather enjoy life instead. I prefer to keep my personal liberties and accept the "risks" rather than surrender to the restrictive burden of protectionism. This is the same reason I don't carry a gun or have an alarm on my house. I refuse to be a prisoner in my own home (or car) or to walk around expecting to be victimized.

I suppose one could make a similar statement about current politics as well, but that's a discussion for another forum. :-)
"Plus, theft deterrent systems hardly work anyway." we are talking about keys and theft deterrent systems here not someone trying to break in your house to steal your car. yes, the new theft deterrent do work. if not, many people will make threads on how thieves stole their car and how they got their car hot wired the old fashion way. welcome to 2007 buddy. i don't see my car in the most stolen cars.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MBNorCal
"Plus, theft deterrent systems hardly work anyway." we are talking about keys and theft deterrent systems here not someone trying to break in your house to steal your car. yes, the new theft deterrent do work. if not, many people will make threads on how thieves stole their car and how they got their car hot wired the old fashion way. welcome to 2007 buddy. i don't see my car in the most stolen cars.
Well good for you. I just feel like we gave up a lot to get there and I don't like it. Plus, I wasn't trying to make a distinction between what kinds of theft, I don't care whether its hotwired or stolen with keys, it makes no difference to me, all part of the same issue. My point was that I'm just not willing to spend a lot of energy and make a lot of sacrifices worrying about it getting stolen, that's why I pay an arm and a leg for insurance.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

Well good for you. I just feel like we gave up a lot to get there and I don't like it. Plus, I wasn't trying to make a distinction between what kinds of theft, I don't care whether its hotwired or stolen with keys, it makes no difference to me, all part of the same issue. My point was that I'm just not willing to spend a lot of energy and make a lot of sacrifices worrying about it getting stolen, that's why I pay an arm and a leg for insurance.
well you have to give honda a pat on the back for trying tho. thieves will think twice about stealing our cars. it's not easy like it used to be. probably the easiest way to steal cars these days is to tow it away.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Those first 6 options are on the 2007 Acura RL SH-AWD model as my dad just bought one last week (though it does not have the Technology package which includes the Adaptive Cruise Control (that first photo) and some collision mitigation features). The Smart FOB means it just needs to be within the vicinity of the car for the doors to unlock by just reaching your hand behind the handle or locking it by touching the raised dimple. Also, when you use YOUR smart fob then the radio goes to the last station you listened to, the climate control goes to the last setting you had, etc. Quite a nice list of features. My wife and I are heading on a trip tonight an hour away with them and I'll be driving it back and plan to enjoy all sorts of the features (power rear sunshade, paddle shifters, etc.). Lots of fun - hot a hybrid though (read: son disappointed in father's choice) but I gotta admit that I would have been swayed to the RL as well.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 AM

Personally, I want the burglar protection system from James Bond's Lotus Turbo Esprit in "For Your Eyes Only." They'll never steal a car again.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

freekin change holder. those little holders that you press the change into like bullets. the altoids tin just isn't as cool....

maybe a sunshield that slides up into the roof. it's not like there's a sunroof in the way.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by Scuddy
maybe a sunshield that slides up into the roof. it's not like there's a sunroof in the way.
Cool idea, although the sun visors may pose difficulties with a sliding sun-shield.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Lightbulb Re: Wish we had these options here

I vote for the "intelligent" cruise control. Other than that, I want the stuff in 007's Aston Martin, especially the front and rear machine guns.

OTOH, those guns are likely rather heavy, and will result in lower FE.

Also, please keep the steering wheel on the front.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When somebody builds a better mouse trap... the mice get smarter. How do you think car jacking came about? When cars got harder to steal, why not wait for the owner to get in the car and take it then?

Old 07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's the option I wish for... :-)

I long for the days when all you needed for a car was a simple key, that fit on your keyring, happily coexisting with all the other keys there. Well, at least the Honda's aren't as bad as volkswagen anyway.
I long for those days too, when I lived back in South Dakota, and the key was usually left in the ignition, and a rack of guns in the rear window of the pickup