HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Window Air / Rain Deflector recommendations..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Window Air / Rain Deflector recommendations..

While I really like my new 09 Hybrid, I have one complaint about a annoying design flaw: Every time it rains (which seems like every day here in the Northeast) and I crack the driver's or front passenger's window for some air, I get.. well drenched. It doesn't matter if the car is damp for an earlier rainstorm OR if it currently raining.

Therefore, I am resigned to getting some wind/rain deflectors for the side windows. Any recommendations? I would prefer to install them myself. I am fairly handy, tho' not quite a mechanic!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Lewis

Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Window Air / Rain Deflector recommendations..

Someone on another forum tried the Honda window rain and wind deflectors for his new Insight and raved about them. For the Civic, too, I'd expect you couldn't go wrong with Honda's own product, which you can get online at a good discount.

P.S. Nice color!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Window Air / Rain Deflector recommendations..

I got the Honda window deflectors with a 91 Accord. The install required some cutting of the door weather strips, which basically means there's no going back (short of purchasing new weather strip), once you've installed them you're committed. Also, there are some corners that were secured with adhesive strips that came a bit loose over the years: some dabs of fresh adhesive more-or-less resolved that.

After a few years they got to looking kind of "burnished", but not too bad. They make it a little more difficult to wash the car, not a big deal.

Bottom line: I resolved not to go that route again. They work as advertised, allowing you to crack the windows in the rain, but they're a bit of a hassle, and I think they're a net downgrade to your car's appearance, especially once they get a bit weathered.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 07-05-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:51 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Go with the AVS in channel ventvisor. They are less than $60.00,
free shipping from svcustoms.com I have had them on both of my HCH II's

link http://www.svcustoms.com/catalog/Aut...ntvisors.shtml

The trick is to peel about 1 inch of red tape then stick them in the channel. The windows should go up and down with no issues if you leave them closed for 24 hours to set up. You can test them without removing the tape to see if you have the right positioning and them put them in permanently.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Enthusiast

I have installed both the factory brand as well as after market brand to both of my civic hybrids. I first installed the after market brand on my 07 civic hybrid. I then installed the factory brand from Honda dealer on my 09 civic hybrid. My recommendation to you will be to go with the factory window rain deflector which you can order through part department at your local Honda dealer. This is if you want the better looking one of the two and if you want the warranty to go with. (3yrs/36K miles) However, this will cost you $250.00; 120 for the parts and 130 for the labor. Yeah, I know the labor is more than the cost of the parts. I could have done it myself but I wanted to be done right so I'd paid full price. Your second option is to go with weathertech.com aftermarket product. This was only about $100.00 and very easy to install yourself. There's nothing wrong this product; I just prefer the factory brand because of the looks and the darker tint color. Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Don't these deflectors have a negative effect on the MPG ?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by michibuck
Don't these deflectors have a negative effect on the MPG ?
not as much as an extra 50 lbs in the trunk would add. They don't add much drag. ( probably an inch per mile ).

an extra pound of air pressure in the tires will more than offset any drag the ventvisors might cause.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm looking at the AVS seamless ventvisors, which have a cleaner appearance, but I'm skeptical b/c they attach with tape solely.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

These are the Mugen ones. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. They are expensive, but I guess everything by Mugen is.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=88

If I were in a state where it rained, I would definitely have these.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by medicmike
I'm looking at the AVS seamless ventvisors, which have a cleaner appearance, but I'm skeptical b/c they attach with tape solely.
I have had 5 vehicles with them and not one has every come loose. You do need to clean the area with the pads that come with the visors.

Practice getting them in place before removing any of the red tape protector. If you get them in the wrong spot they will not stick as good as if you put them in correctly the first time.