HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Why did you pick the HCHII over the Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Why did you pick the HCHII over the Prius?

My parents-in-law drive a Prius, and my sister-in-law as well. They like to visit and have conversations and cr@p like that, while I, on the other hand, like to avoid them and not talk to them. I feared a Prius purchase would encourage them to talk to me and might make them think I was trying to somehow bond with them, so I got the Civic instead.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is that your sense of humor or are you for real! Might be easer to get along?H

Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Is that your sense of humor or are you for real! Might be easer to get along?H
I believe all good humor should be seasoned with reality!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 AM

Yes that is true! Cheers, H

Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Why did you pick the HCHII over the Prius?

There is no need for insults and things of that sort. It may be due to the Las Vegas Wether? its 115 today. My average is currentlly 48.7. I did'nt turn the air on, windows rolled up, swetting like a pig. I came to work about 12 mile drive, mostly level grade. Tires properly inflated, battery at mid. Even got into the EV mode with FE at 100% 2 bars on the assist for a mile or 2 here and there. When I left it was ay 48.6 I gained .2mpg. Could it be that the average was very low to begin with? SHould I wait till the car is "broken in?"

My camry is getting about 42-45 depending on who is driving it. Very easy to get into the EV only even at 40MPH.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ajoshi
There is no need for insults and things of that sort.
I don't think anyone insulted you--I was just pointing out your implication that we are lying about our mileage because you don't believe 60+ numbers. I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot or anything.

Read Tarabell's article. You will find that driving an IMA car is different than the Aisin system that your Camry uses. You mentioned using the assist which is actually a no-no with the HCH--you will get your best mileage without it. Also, read MSanto's article on using the air conditioning system which sounds like "must use" for your temperatures. Without the AC, you risk the car going into a mode that will restrict your regen because it's worried about overheating the batteries. Not to point to another website, but both of these articles can be found on cleanmpg.com.

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing the right things. If the car is brand new, fill it up so you know you're starting with a full tank. Also, I would suggest resetting your trip B every time you get behind the wheel--this will help you see what things work and what doesn't work for your commute. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

... My average is currentlly 48.7. I did'nt turn the air on, windows rolled up, swetting like a pig. I came to work about 12 mile drive, mostly level grade. ....
Good grief, turn on your A/C before you die of heat exhaustion. A single mpg or 2 is just not worth that.

I do admire the dedication, but you have to have limits.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Only one other person so far has brought up the main deciding factor I had: Superior crash stats.

Secondary: considerably lower price than Prius.

I'm really happy with my purchase. I just ended a job that involved stop & go driving on a highway for 25 miles each way, typically approaching 49 mpg with a/c on. We're on vacation now, driving along the Oregon coast at 50-55 mpg. Next week, I start my new job situation: a one mile walk each way to work 3 days a week, bus and light rail 1 day a week, and _maybe_ the HCHII to light rail station one day weekly.

Oh, well, I like the car enough it'll be good for maybe 15 miles per week instead of 215. And I think an iPod may provide better sound than the stock stereo system.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM

I test drove a prius in 2007, actually the dealer gave it to me fore the week end. I put it off... Thank god. I already own a Camry hybrid fully loaded and really like it. 2 weeks ago my wife went to a nearby Honda dealership to trade in a Pacifica. At first the dealer said there were no hybrids available and there was a waiting list. Then he went in to look at something and someone had just backed out of a contract on a HCH that was already on a ship. I told the wife to just get it. We even got special financing that was ending that day. Well the car came in on the 19th of July and I juct love it. The only thing that I miss over the toyota system is the EV. on my camry if I keep the speed below 40, I can run on battery for almost 2 miles. Other than that the HCH is great. I have only put 250 miles on it and the dash says 47.3MPG I am sure it will get better. I just have a hard time believing the 60+MPG claims. I know how to drive hybrid and I just don't see that feasible.

-AJ
It is feasible but it is a lot of trouble.
One thing that helps me is the four + years of hypermiling practice and our Southern California weather which rarely requires AC or heat.
Also fairly flat driving conditions.
I drive 50 to 53 miles per hour in the right lane of the freeways.
I almost never use my brakes so once I've used the gas to get up to speed I work to go as far as possible on that momentum.
I also leave a ton of room in front of me.
I don't care if people pull in or pull around me.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by kristian
I don't think anyone insulted you--I was just pointing out your implication that we are lying about our mileage because you don't believe 60+ numbers. I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot or anything
I take photos to prove my high mpg runs. I'm working on a 64mpg tank right now, and I'll be replacing that "I'm gonna beat that kenny!" pic with a more impressive one later this week.