HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

When is a tank really "empty"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When is a tank really "empty"?

If I recall, the manual says something about the low fuel light coming on with 1.8 gallons left. I average around 48mpg, so I assume I have around 75 miles to go. I'll give it another 50 or so before filling up.

Jeff

Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

My manual stats 13.2 gals. That means for me an easy 610.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM

I have the same proble with an European HCH II ! I only put 40 liters per tank when I have zero bar ... and my Honda dealer tells me that the tank capacity is 50 liters...(I know one day you'll love my French metric system ).

So my calculation is that one bar is equal to 2 liters, and my HCH has 20 bars ! I just have (like everyboby) : where are the 10 lost bars ???

So it means that one two bars are quite equal to 1 gallon ? Have you find the same thing ?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Here's my experience. The fuel light goes on when there are two bars left, and then the last two disappears quickly. I have written before that there is at least 8 L left in the tank at that time, but it's actually more. This time for instance I had used 39 L (according to FE display) when the fuel light came on. Today I filled 48.76 L, which is the most I have ever filled. So there are at least 10 L, probably around 11-12 L left in the tank when the fuel light goes on. I would agree that there is around 2 L per bar on the display, and only the top 40 L are shown. The bottom 10 L are in the dark, beyond the display. (Which btw is kind of lame. The most interesting part is the bottom 10 L, not the top 40 L. On the other hand they are the most difficult to measure, I guess that's why Honda left them out.)

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM

One day, I filled 42 liters... and the fuel light wasn't on !! there were 3 bars remaining...
it's strange because the fuel light goes on when there's 3 bars remaining and sometimes when there's only 2 bars remaining... But when there is no bar, I only fill 40 liters !!! LOL

Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Don't depend on the gas pumps to give you the correct gallon reading. The best time to buy gas (closer to actual gallons) is early morning. The reason is gasoline expands with tempature."the expansion rate of gasoline per degree Fahrenheit is 0.069%. To translate this, it means that for every tank of gas (say 10 gals or 1280 ounces) and every degree the temperature of the gasoline rises you will receive 1280 ounces x .069% or about 1 ounce less or more of gasoline."
So fill up cold and drive hot.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Hi Ronnie !
You mean that because gas pumps tanks are generaly underground and their temperature are quite the same all along the year. So It depends on your remaining fuel volume in the car tank which varying all along the day in function of the temperature. If 1 gallon is remaining in your tanks and its temperature is under the gas pump tanks temperature, you'll fill more fuel than if your last gallon is at a higher temp than the pump tank !

If we suppose that your last gallon is at 70 F and the pump tank is at 57 F and you fill 12 gallons, the temparature of the mix is 58 F... suppose now that your last gallon is at 45 F and the pump tank is at 57 F and you fill 12 gallons, the temparature of the mix is 56 F... that means the difference between the to tanks is only 0.02 gals, that can't explain a différence of 2 liters (0,5 gal).

Now, suppose you need 8 gals to complete your tank :

your last 5 gals are at 70 F and the pump tank is at 57 F and you fill 8 gallons, the temparature of the mix is 56.6 F... suppose now that your last 5 gals are at 45 F and the pump tank is at 57 F and you fill 8 gallons, the temparature of the mix is 48.9 F... that means the difference between the to tanks is only 0.13 gals. that can't explain a différence of 2 liters (0,5 gal) too.

But you're right, it's better to fill your tank in the morning if you want to put more gasoline !

I think high level detectors of the gas pump are set up differently. So I remark that in Luxembourg, gas pump delivered more fuel than in France for the same fuel remaining volume . and the diffrence is about 2 or 3 liters... So I think the diffence could be there : the fuel level detectors are setup differently in each gas pump and when your tank is full, it shut down the pump...

Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast

i usually fill no more than 11 gallons, maybe I don't drive until fumes!