HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What do you think about the Hybrid's wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What do you think about the Hybrid's wheels?

That is to bad. Think I'll get some of those 60's brushed aluminum full moons. Why are they doing that? All I have herd is bad about them, but I like um. H

Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In Canada, the DX-G (the base model Civic, plus A/C) trim for 2008 now includes these light aluminium wheels. Get used to seeing them on regular Civic coupes and sedans!
Those wheels mark our cars hybrid and are probably the most noticeable difference between the Civic and HCH. I wonder if that is a Canada-only thing or if it's going to be implemented in the states 2.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

It depends on what the marketing people at Honda Canada report in terms of results. Frankly, I hope their packaging initiative fails... as I also find it disturbing to share the distinctive wheels with any other Civic model.

However, with the HCH wheels weighing in at 28.8 pounds (rim+tire at pressure) it does account for a measurable weight reduction if used in a DX-G. The regular DX-G wheel (rim+tire+wheelcover+pressure) weighs a little over 35 pounds. I have a feeling that this may be hinged in yet another attempt at nudging the lineup on the account of the federal ecoAuto program.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default ecoAuto

This seems to be an interesting program, as it provides subsidies for hybrid and non-hybrid fuel efficient vehicles.

The US should have a program like this. It could funded from a windfall profits tax on the oil companies!

(yeah, like the oil lobby is going to let that happen......)

Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The question has probably been asked before on other forums, but if you were to take all the accessories minus the engine from the Hybrid and install them on a regular LX based Civic, the mileage will increase but by how much.

Conversely, what do Enthusiasts from the Honda's Civic Si camp feel when non-Civic Si owners install Si based wheels on their car?

The pie plates do distinguish the Civic Hybrid, but only because it is a regular Civic with a different motor.

The Toyota Prius has regular spoked wheels installed. Toyota doesn't need to install a "special" part to distinguish their car.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

If we were to decorate a regular Civic (say LX model) with the aero treatments of the HCH the LX's fuel economy would rise but still not enough to rival the HCH.
We've had folks at CleanMPG hypermile their 2006 regular gas models and some even went through such extents as too apply some of the Aero mods like the HCH has. They really got pretty good FE. But the addition of aero mods did not produce a dramatic effect at all beyond the fuel economy they were already getting.

While many folks at CleanMPG continually prove that the hypermiled FE potential of the HCH is in the 70+ MPG, the regular Gas Civic can rarely break the 50's in the hands of a VERY dedicated hypermiler.

Clearly, something is to be said about the HCH powerplant that defines the Gen 4 IMA. The aero mods the HCH has (underbody air skirts, ground clearance, shield panels, rims, trunk spoiler, tires, etc) only help lower the CoD by 0.03-0.04 to 0.27 which although helpful it is only the cherry on the cake.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Has anyone tried replacing the hood and trunk on the Hybrid with Cabon Fiber replacements?

Also, I have been searching for Carbon Fiber Fenders and doors, but cannot find those parts...

Carbon Fiber should increase MPG since it will decrease the overall weight on the car..

(Make the whole car out of Carbon Fiber.. that would be a statement...)

Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by arbittan
Has anyone tried replacing the hood and trunk on the Hybrid with Cabon Fiber replacements?

Also, I have been searching for Carbon Fiber Fenders and doors, but cannot find those parts...

Carbon Fiber should increase MPG since it will decrease the overall weight on the car..

(Make the whole car out of Carbon Fiber.. that would be a statement...)
I think the real question would be how long would you have to drive for the lighter hood to pay for itself in gas savings

Old 11-06-2007, 12:18 PM

So True

Old 09-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by spinner
In Canada, the DX-G (the base model Civic, plus A/C) trim for 2008 now includes these light aluminium wheels. Get used to seeing them on regular Civic coupes and sedans!
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but after a year I'm seeing these wheels everywhere on lots of Civics in and around Toronto. That tells me that the DX-G trim is probably the best-selling one.

And now, the LX trim of the 2009 Honda Fit also appears to have the same design light aluminium wheels. These are slightly different in that they are sized for 175mm-width tires.

For now it appears to be just a Canadian market thing. Hopefully it will bring down the price of the wheels since they're positioned as slightly better than steel wheels with covers but lesser than other alloy wheels.

Quick Reply: What do you think about the Hybrid's wheels?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands