HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Way to keep DRL always on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Pimpin ain't easy!
Default Way to keep DRL always on?

Does anybody know if it's possible to keep the DRL's (Daytime running lights) always on? Including when your headlights are on? Is this mod possible?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned
Default Re: Way to keep DRL always on?

I thought that Daytime Running lights were always on?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Pimpin ain't easy!

Originally Posted by Marmaduke

When you turn on your headlights, the DRL's turn off. I'm talking about ON ALL THE TIME, including when your headlights are on.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Sure, just turn push the high beam switch on!

The reason that the DRL function turns off when the headlights are on is that the DRL lamp now becomes the high beam lamp.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Pimpin ain't easy!

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Sure, just turn push the high beam switch on!

The reason that the DRL function turns off when the headlights are on is that the DRL lamp now becomes the high beam lamp.
I know and understand what your saying... An example would be like the later Mercedes's or Acura TL's. They have the DRL lights on along w/the headlights on. It's all just a "looks" thing, it serves no function for this mod that i'm requesting for. I just like the looks w/the DRL lights on along w/the HID's on.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Actually, I've noticed that my regular lights cut off a fair bit lower than the DRL/high beam. It'd be nice to have that extra reach back.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

the mercedes drl's are the actual headlight. the other one is the parking lights (city lights). on the tl it is the fog light, except for the 2007 since they moved the fog lights to the bottom. the tl didn't have drl's up to 2006 that i know of unless you are in canada.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
They are unless you partake in the modification "Fuse 40 removal" like I did. I can't stand DRLs because those drivers never seem to turn on their lights when they enter tunnels or when it is raining or when it is dark (not dusk but quite a bit later than dusk). These folks assume, "Gee - I see my headlights on the road so my lights must be on" and they make dangerous situations for others on the road. I guess I was brought up old school style and when you drive through a short underpass or an area with lots of dense trees around the road then you manually turned on your lights to make it safe instead of letting the car keep them on all the time. Argh.

Hopefully none of the absent-minded DRL people are on here. Has anyone else noticed these folks on the road and how they expect their DRL to automatically change to normal headlights when it is dark or when their wipers are on?

Old 01-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I admit to not turning my headlights on earlier during dusk but only because the dash gets harder to see when you turn on the mains at dusk! I know I could play with the dimmer but I've never had to do that before on any previous car! I don't want to leave them on full bright at night either. I like the blue motif but it's the wrong color to keep your night vision. Should've been red (I think the SI's are red).

Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 PM

I find this one of the best and still undocumented features (undocumented in any review I've ever read) ... the fact that the dash lights can be at a different brightness than the Nav screen. And at any time you can have the dash lights at full bright so when you are in a Construction zone and turn on your headlights you can see what the heck the gauges are doing. Alternately, you can dim them down to almost pilot-brightness mode. There is not much of a jump from full bright to the brightest dim setting, IMHO, whereas the Nav screen is a bigger step between Day mode and the brightest Night mode.

And Dusk might have been nebulous -- the Driver's Ed test for PA states between Sun-down and Sun-up that your headlights are to be on (though I feel it should be much earlier than sun-down but that is the requirement and before that it is probably just a courtesy recommendation).

Quick Reply: Way to keep DRL always on?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands