HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Toronto Star HCH-II Article

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:38 AM
2006 Civic Hybrid
Default Toronto Star HCH-II Article

This morning the Toronto Star published an article on the HCH-II.

"2006 model now Canada's least expensive hybrid, but driving style may not generate huge fuel savings"

The reviewer clearly needs to learn how to hyper-mile but overall it does clear up some common misconceptions about hybrid cars for those looking to become more fuel efficient.

Read it here: Civic Hybrid tweak adds green power

Old 07-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Getting better FE!
Default Re: Toronto Star HCH-II Article

I thought it was a pretty good article, especially considering that in Canada one has the choice of diesel for fuel economy.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Enthusiast

yeah, i just read it. Jil McIntosh is obviously a lead foot. Considering that that article starts off with dispelling the ususal hybrid myths, it would be helpful if she'd done a little research and report (she is a 'reporter' after all!) that although her personal best during her hilly rural trip was 6.0L/100km, many people can get much closer to and even exceed the official fuel consumption ratings (although apparently you have to live in Ajax )

Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast

She made mention of a strange electrical buzzing noise in the dash. I heard this exact same kind of noise in the test drive vehicle the first time I took it for a drive at the dealer. There was also a strange kind of clicking sound. I told the salesman about it as I thought it was strange. A few days later, I took it out for another test drive and the strange sounds were gone. Thankfully, my car never had these odd sounds emanating from the dash. I hadn't heard it mentioned by anyone else on the forum until I read the article. I never did find out what the origin of the sound was.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast

Touch your brakes so regen is activated and you'll hear a very faint whine (faint enough that you'll only hear it if it's very quiet - i.e. the radio is off and windows are up). Normal.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyChi
She made mention of a strange electrical buzzing noise in the dash. I heard this exact same kind of noise in the test drive vehicle the first time I took it for a drive at the dealer. There was also a strange kind of clicking sound. I told the salesman about it as I thought it was strange. A few days later, I took it out for another test drive and the strange sounds were gone. Thankfully, my car never had these odd sounds emanating from the dash. I hadn't heard it mentioned by anyone else on the forum until I read the article. I never did find out what the origin of the sound was.
Was it a constant buzz or just at startup?

My Acura used to make the same sound at startup.

I think it is the engaging of some system or other...