HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Terrible Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Terrible Mileage

Fasteddie, check out my post from 5000 miles: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...6487#post46487

There is hope.. your mpg will improve significantly. Slow down and stay in the #3 or 4 lanes (if you live in an urban area).

Old 07-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike - I guess I am learning since my mpg went up to 38.5. I read somewhere that if you drive a sports car you tend to drive it near its limit to get the most satisfaction. I guess the same goes for a hybrid, we need to know how much we can squeeze out of each gallon.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

chesleyn: Holy $#!t!!! +10mpg is freaking crazy
DT: The windows to blame when it comes to noise are the rear. No idea why that is, but I can have the fronts all the way down and be happy. Open the rears nice and wide, and it sounds like I've got a pair of tympani in the back seat.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
chesleyn: Holy $#!t!!! +10mpg is freaking crazy
DT: The windows to blame when it comes to noise are the rear. No idea why that is, but I can have the fronts all the way down and be happy. Open the rears nice and wide, and it sounds like I've got a pair of tympani in the back seat.
I've had that problem with my VW Bug if the sunroof wasn't opened all the way or the windows down partially if it was. Same with my 2003 Acura TL-with the rear windows.

It is not uncommon-the cars are so much more aerodynamic that wind comes in and buffets inside at differing speeds from outside making that booming sound. I think it's a vortex or something like that.

Michael

Old 11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat. I was getting around 44 MPG and now I am getting 38 MPG. I have about 4500 miles on it. The 44 MPG was achieved during the summer, and now for sme reason it's dropped to about 38. I have to admit that I drive the car like a regular car, but my driving pattern hasn't changed!!! What the heck is going on?

Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Since the summer ended, I have been hitting 51 to 52 or more on each tank. Also coincided with the first oil change as well. The tire alignment I need can only help further.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by mazinga
I'm in the same boat. I was getting around 44 MPG and now I am getting 38 MPG. I have about 4500 miles on it. The 44 MPG was achieved during the summer, and now for sme reason it's dropped to about 38. I have to admit that I drive the car like a regular car, but my driving pattern hasn't changed!!! What the heck is going on?
Welcome to the forum

How cold has it been where you live?

Here's some context:

In my area temps have been getting steadily lower (currently 14F) and that has taken my mileage from an average of 51.6 mpg during the summer to 41 mpg as of my last tank. As a matter of fact, I expect to get even lower mileage as temperatures dip further.
Indeed, I'll be very happy if I hit the mid 30 mpg mark. Heck even my Prius II mileage is plunging into the 30's with this cold weather.

By the way, the mileages I mentioned were achieved with block heaters.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 PM

Ya. Welcome to the forum. The cold weather, similar in general to VERY hot and humid whether, impedes IMA function and also changes the fuel mix as well until a certain engine temp is achived. You can actually see the change as the engine temp hits a certain point after start up and the MPG improves.

The car is EXCELLENT as far as fuel efficiency between 50 and 75 degrees F ambient temp. That'd be the sweet spot.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Welcome to the forum

How cold has it been where you live?

Here's some context:

In my area temps have been getting steadily lower (currently 14F) and that has taken my mileage from an average of 51.6 mpg during the summer to 41 mpg as of my last tank. As a matter of fact, I expect to get even lower mileage as temperatures dip further.
Indeed, I'll be very happy if I hit the mid 30 mpg mark. Heck even my Prius II mileage is plunging into the 30's with this cold weather.

By the way, the mileages I mentioned were achieved with block heaters.

Cheers;

MSantos
Thanks for the comment MSantos. I live in Orange County , CA so it's not that cold.
Have you changed your driving pattern to achieve such good averages?

Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the comment MSantos. I live in Orange County , CA so it's not that cold.
Have you changed your driving pattern to achieve such good averages?
Our temps in Houston are more similar to your in Orange. The answer to your question is Yes most of us here at the forum do change our driving habits. Some of us are 'motivated' by that instantaneous MPG meter like a video game. Sometimes we use cruise control to gain some efficiency since those of us with a bit of a lead foot cant be as efficient as the cruise control software. Often, the pulse and glide method does well for folks. I know Mr. Kenny belives in driving like you dont have any brakes, basically coasting when possible.

Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Terrible Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands