HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Sub-standard Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Sub-standard Paint Job?

I'm just wanting to get a feel from others who own a HCH II 2006 model if any of you are experiencing issues with the paint on your car flaking or chipping very easily.

I love everything about my car, except for the issues with the paint. I have used so much touch-up paint on my car already - it's not funny!

This is the first time I had a car in silver metallic - not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sub-standard Paint Job?

My 2008 is the same way. Magnetic Pearl. But still nowhere near as bad as our 05 nissan titan.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Is it flaking on the front bumper due to road debris? If so I had this on my old accord. It will help a lot, especially if you have to make a commute to work everyday like myself. These are for the civic sedan...

http://lamin-x.com/ecommerce/os/cata...90319dc71e1c4c

The pre-cut kits are a little pricey. You could try buying uncut pieces to cover where you are having the most flaking.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Pragmatist

Most late-model cars have the same problem. It's called "Low VOC Paint".

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Honda uses some new environmentally friendly paint process which makes it much easier to scratch and chip. Could be the "low VOC paint" as SteveHansen mentioned but I'm not sure what Honda calls it. Just try to stay a little further behind traffic especially large trucks to prevent or at least decrease the number of paint chips. I'm also very careful around the paint, I try to touch it as little as possible, which helps.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

My Porsche Turbo has the same problems, that and paint flaws from the factory. The Hybrid paint is holding up as expected on LA freeways IMO. No complaints...but yes, next time around Im going a full clear front end cover.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback... but still I still feel the car should have received better paint / paint job for the price I paid for this car.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

If you are getting so many chips and dings maybe you should look into getting one of those 3M clear protective films installed. You can barely see it when its installed and its great protection. Besides that I don't think there is anything else you can do .

Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast

I have the 3M film, and while it covered 3/4 of my hood, I should have paid extra and gotten the whole thing covered because of the position of the hood. It has however, held up extremely well over the years and I consider it to be a very good investment.

As far as the paint, I do know that the clear coat on a Honda is thinner than an Acura, which I think it wholly unfair.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

All cars in the sold in the US have this problem. As Steve stated above, new cars are being painted with a water born paint that uses uses a VERY small amount of activator compared to normal solvent based paint. The cuts down on VOC's (volatile organic compounds) that escape into the atmosphere. Although more friendly to the planet, it is a much softer paint that chips easily.

It is even down to the repair shop level in parts of Calif. now with other states lookiing to foist this upon the public in the years ahead. Not much we can do about it until the paint suppliers can come up with harder compounds that pass emissions. The 3M films mentioned above can help but most cars will need a repaint LONG before they would have just a few years ago.

My daughters 07 rally red Civic and my 08 mag grey Camry look like they have been following a gravel truck after a year's time. What's bad is that my oldest's girls 01 Accord and the wifes 05 Pilot still look almost as good as the day they were bought. Like you, I wish we had better paint options but all we can do is keep up with the chips by using a good repair paint and keep buffing out the swirls.