HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Slow leak in tire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Slow leak in tire!

OK, thanks. IIRC it was because the guy switched size or brand of tire. I don't really have a choice here and will just have to wing it. It should be fine.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Jeff is very right.

How's the wear on the other three tires? Is there a chance that the new tire can be L-R paired with the least worn of the remaining three?
Since these are the OEM tires they should not be directional which should grant you that lattitude.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

The rest have about 14k on them and not too bad. The one that needs replacing is front, passenger side. All tires were rotated recently. Would it make sense to have an older rear switched with the new, passenger front? IOW just put the new tire on the rear. I can't imagine there's much sensitivity in the rear TIA.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hummm... you're right. At 14K they should be in pretty good shape.

But just to be sure, I would perhaps pump the newer tire to a pressure that is measurably lower (but not too low) than that of the other 3 tires. I would then run it like that for a little while then gradually I would try to equalize the pressures to something you're confortable with.

Just for giggles, measuring the outer perimeter of each tire (normally inflated) should be quite helpful in determining how far off the new tire is from the older three.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sunday, while doing my walkaround tire pressure check I noticed what I thought was a rock caught between the treads of the right rear tire. Lo and behold it was a nail right at the edge of the tread. The tire was still holding the tire to pressure so a slow trip to the tire shop!

Of course it couldn't be patched and since the car is less than a month old there is no road hazard warranty according to my papers (hindsight is 20/20). Well since there was no chance of matching the tires from the factory I purchased 2 new Goodyears and kept both factory tires (one for a spare for the other 2 factory tires and the other just in case the dealer will cover it).

I was still concerned this may change the mpg's and rpm's but everything is great!! Actually a few cool evenings later I drove a 35 mile stretch of hiway and got 68 mpg...so she's feeling no ill effects from the tire change!!

When I called the dealer the next day to ask about the tire he said it was not covered but I could trade the car back to them...it seems that they have sold completely out of Civic Hybrids!!! Funny they had 3 or 4 left when I bought mine!! Go Honda, Go Honda, Go Honda ! ! !