HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I sell my hybrid? Dealer wants to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Should I sell my hybrid? Dealer wants to buy.

have a 2007 Civic hybrid which has run well for me, but I've been getting letters and emails from 2 dealers asking if I'd want to sell it, apparently as demand is high for them. Has anyone done this and is it a good time to sell? Or are most people here planning to hang on to them for a few years more? I'm in Northern California so it may be just local. Anyone else thinking of seling?

Thanks for advice

ed

Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Should I sell my hybrid? Dealer wants to buy.

I used to work for the largest automotive OEM agency for promotions such as the one you received. They are known as "dealer buyback letters." Your contact information was undoubtedly generated from the dealers' databases. such letters are routinely sent to prospects whose vehicles are likely ready for a trade-in, based on vehicle age and/or mileage. The letter copy is merely an inducement to identify who may be in the market for a new car, with a clever pretext (hook). The "demand is high" claim is rubber-stamped on every such letter that many OEMs use... rubbish! The dealer simply wants to sell you a new car, and knows that the first job is to get you in the door. Again: this was my precise livelihood: to manage exactly these sorts of clever automotive programs.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 10-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I sell my hybrid? Dealer wants to buy.

You have to look at how much you've invested and whether you are taking a huge loss. Wouldn't you have to buy something new which would add a whole new cost?

I am keeping my 2006 until it falls apart! Its just a joy to ride but have to deal with the IMA/battery. By the time it falls apart I'm hoping battery technology is better, and I really want a plug in, but want it to be good.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips! will keep it as it has no problems

Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

when i get my honda hybrid next year I took aim to keep it for 8-10 years!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I used to work for the largest automotive OEM agency for promotions such as the one you received. They are known as "dealer buyback letters." Your contact information was undoubtedly generated from the dealers' databases. such letters are routinely sent to prospects whose vehicles are likely ready for a trade-in, based on vehicle age and/or mileage. The letter copy is merely an inducement to identify who may be in the market for a new car, with a clever pretext (hook). The "demand is high" claim is rubber-stamped on every such letter that many OEMs use... rubbish! The dealer simply wants to sell you a new car, and knows that the first job is to get you in the door. Again: this was my precise livelihood: to manage exactly these sorts of clever automotive programs.
Thanks for that tip as well. I was wondering why I was popular with the local dealer last spring....
Thanks for the tips! will keep it as it has no problems
when i get my honda hybrid next year I took aim to keep it for 8-10 years!
I also will not entertain my next vehicle until my '07 (bought new) is 10 years old. Apart from the 'reduce, reuse, recycle' aspects, I paid for it in 24 months and enjoy driving with no payments....