HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I get one for my Hellish commute?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I get one for my Hellish commute?

You won't see 45-50 on a commute like that unless you are insanely vigilant about hypermiling techniques. Since I switched to a job close by, my car often doesn't warm up (well, it does when it's warm, but not on a 32 degree day like today) until just before I get to work...so in cold weather, I get about 35mpg on my commute, and in warm weather I get about 46. I get 50ish on the highway, and over 50 on wide open roads that are at medium speed. Stop and go's a killer, though, and unless you really concentrate, you're mileage won't be all that impressive. Better than your current car, but not astounding.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Great Mileage and Green

I'd go for it. I replaced at 2004 HCH I with a 2007 HCH II. My lifetime mileage on the first generation was 46.9, and thus far on the second generation it's 48.7 with some 1280 miles on it. By the way, I drive in bumper to bumper traffic for half of the 40 miles each way commute I make each day here in Denver, Colorado.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Getting better FE!

I would seriously consider the Prius instead for reasons already mentioned about its superiority in stop-and-go traffic.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

I did and am thrilled with the results so far. It has only been about two weeks, but I have found the commute to be much less taxing in every way.

I commute 23 miles each way, about 5 miles on surface roads and 18 miles on the world's longest parking lot - aka the Long Island Expressway. So far I have averaged about 46 mpg and that is while I am still learning how to get the most out of the various techniques described throughout this board.

I too used to drive a stick - a 2001 VW Jetta - and miss the few fleeting moments where you can open it up. Most of the time though, the automatic just makes life a whole lot easier. Between the Jetta and my HCH II, I had a GMC Siera pickup and spent most of my time at the pump.

The weirdest part of owning the Honda, was the immediate impact it had on my driving habits. Previously, I was a fairly assertive driver who spent a lot of time in the left line trying to go fast. Now, I find myself remaining to the right, doing about 60 (when possible), obsessed with watching my mpg's and charging the battery. This initial enthusiasm will probably diminish over time, but I will still be far ahead of where I was in the past. Plus, I arrive at my destination far less stressed than ever before. Honda should have called this the Zen.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I disagree with Moco65 about the enthusiasm diminishing over time. I don't think it really does, at least not quickly. Hybrids are fun to drive, obsessing over mpg is an addictive game and many people here seem to have stayed enthusiastic for a long time. Besides, when these sort of driving habits become automatic, it really stays with you, and you can see their clear benefits so it's the kind of thing that you wouldn't need to relearn later.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

I agree with leahbeatle - I've been driving this Insight since Sept 2000 and not bored yet. In fact, I've still been learning stuff. The bummer has been the times my car is in the shop and have to drive a rental.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Energy Independence

Mach 22,
I think you'd do OK (for MPG), even with that wicked commute. I'd guess low 40s.
A Prius may do a little better, but I would not expect miracles.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all for the comments. This really seems like a great community of friendly, helpful people.

I have test-driven both the Prius and the HCH II. The Prius does have some positives, including the potentially better mileage in stop-and-go traffic as well as the more practical hatchback, but at 6'4" with long legs, I just wasn't comfortable in the car. The HCH II was plenty comfortable and is just so much better looking inside and out than the Prius. Also the Honda's ergonomics are definitely superior to the Toyota's.

I got a pretty good quote from a local dealer for $21,200 (no Nav) plus 4.9% APR financing for 60 months. Doing the math, the car would save me money for the next 3 years when compared to my Mazda 3, even without figuring in the tax credit. At 4 years it's break even and at 5 years I'd start losing money on the deal, but I can't imagine still driving the Mazda in 5 years. (I have somewhat of a short attention span when it comes to cars.) So the finances kind of work out, at least in the short-term. If the car can make my commute more enjoyable, then those extra hours of happiness every week will definitely be worth it.

My only concern now is the practicality of not having a folding rear seat; I don't use it a lot, but I fear I'd be frustrated not having it.

So, I'm on the verge of buying one... I'll let ya'll know if I do.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have both the Prius and the HCHII. I originally bought the Prius for me and the Honda for my wife, but I found the Honda more comfortable seat wise and legroom wide. At 6'4", you probably notice the same thing.

You can accelerate with the Prius using only the battery, but you have to go just a little faster than a snails pace, otherwise the engine kicks in. It usually kicks in at about 12-15mph anyway unless you are very, very light on the throttle. Accelerating with the Prius on battery only is kind of like accelerating with the HCHII at about 1100 or 1200 rpm.

In stop and go traffic when accelerating on battery only, you will very quickly drain the battery (over a long stretch of traffic) and the engine will come on anyway to recharge it. In my opinion, there would likely be no difference in FE over many miles of stop and go traffic. I have rarely driven in stop and go traffic with either car.

I find it easier to get higher FE with the HCHII, you can drive in a more normal manner (in the Prius, pulse and glide works best for high FE but I find driving like that annoying).

I think you are making a wise decision to get the Honda.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good luck with that decision, mach 22! I used to drive a hatchback with a folding rear seat and I always thought it was so convenient, but since I've had my HCH I, I've just never missed it. I guess I didn't use that as much as I thought I did. You have to decide what will work for you, of course.

Quick Reply: Should I get one for my Hellish commute?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands