HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I do early A1 maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Should I do early A1 maintenance?

My HCH is just about at 6000 miles and 30% oil. Over thanksgiving weekend I will be driving 1500 miles (my family decided to force me to drive due to the hybrid.) I cant imagine hitting over 6500 by then, so I don't think I will hit my A1 maintenance by then. Should I go in and do it early or wait? I am just afraid that 1500 miles wont be good for the car if it decides to tell me to do my maintenance during the trip.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I do early A1 maintenance?

I just did mine at 95% with 15000 kilomitors or about 9000 miles. I would wait untill you get closer to zero%. It is interesting going that far without changing oil. Much easier on the bank account. And to top it off, you don't have to change the filter on the A1. I made sure I took the filter off and dumped the old oil out however. H

Old 10-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Energy Independence

Most people (I think) have been getting 9K miles or more before getting to 0%. Take the trip, change it when you get back.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:01 PM
No Spin Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irkedpenguin
My HCH is just about at 6000 miles and 30% oil. Over thanksgiving weekend I will be driving 1500 miles (my family decided to force me to drive due to the hybrid.) I cant imagine hitting over 6500 by then, so I don't think I will hit my A1 maintenance by then. Should I go in and do it early or wait? I am just afraid that 1500 miles wont be good for the car if it decides to tell me to do my maintenance during the trip.

Thanks for any advice.
I had the same situation. I was at 30% and going on a long trip. I changed the oil and filter at 30% and felt relieved while I was away from home that the car wouldn't need any service. I would wait until about a week before you leave and by then it might be at 20% and it will give you time to make sure the car is running okay before you go.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Should I do early A1 maintenance? Answer NO, because

It is best to let the first oil fill run for 9-10K miles. This is because there is still by-products of the manufacturing process in your engine that are still being flushed out. A road trip will be a good opportunity to finish the process of getting these by-products loose and suspended in the oil and caught by the filter.

While the A1 service does not stipulate an oil filter change, and oil filter is a cheap item, and should be replaced.

To give you an example of the condition of the oil in your car, here is the oil analysis I had performed on my cars initial fill when it was drained at 9200 miles.