HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

ScanGauge II hidden civic hybrid specific info

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question ScanGauge II hidden civic hybrid specific info

Has anybody figured out how to get the specific Honda hybrid info out of the scan gauge ii yet? I understand that this model has features to put in custom gauges if you know the address in the computer to search for it.

Things like battery temperature, battery module voltage levels, etc. etc. I know the data behind that data port, per the honda civic hybrid service manual the HDS Specific computer can report on that info...i don't have a couple grand laying around to buy it though...

Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ScanGauge II hidden civic hybrid specific info

I posted a similar question on the cleanmpg forums, and got nothing.. It's interesting that Prius people figured it to the point of reverse engineering CAN bus to the battery and adding custom displays with whatever data they need. (Voltages/currents/temperatures etc would be very useful in our current group state as HCHII owners with uncertain battery condition). I suppose getting a used pack from a junk yard and reverse engineering the battery monitoring module might be one way, and if it gets to that I am not ruling out doing that

Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

bummer, its getting to the point where I'm seriously considering picking up a used older hds scanner so that I can troubleshoot my car. Its frustrating that this info isn't available and it really reduces the significance of have a diagnostics port that's purpose is to allow anybody to troubleshoot the car.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am starting to think a trade-in for a new Prius may be a good deal, while the car is still in a good shape

Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reagle
I am starting to think a trade-in for a new Prius may be a good deal, while the car is still in a good shape
I have very seriously considered that as well...had a couple of Prius as rentals and it was amazing that they just got 45-47 with my driving style (i don't hyper-mile, i just drive the car with traffic). The new prius with the solar panel really intrigues me since my car sits out in the sun all day at work...the idea that the cabin fan continuously runs in direct sunlight to keep the cabin (and therefor the battery as well) at outside ambient temperatures versus the usual +30-50 degrees internal cabin temp is appealing.

One of the reasons I purchased the civic hybrid over the prius is i feel like I'm driving a regular car in the civic though...the prius i feel very conspicuous, and that's not really my style.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, especially gen 2 Prius felt more like an appliance than a car. Gen 3 is not bad. I'll try testdriving it over the same hills I can barely get up to in my HCHII and see what mileage I get.