HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rust Already!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Rust Already!?!?!

Hello everyone. I bought my '07 HCH new in mid may of this year. I was washing it today and I noticed a small ding in the paint, which was rusting. It is just above the windshield on the driver's side. A rock or something must have hit it on the freeway and broken through the paint. I couldn't get a good picture, because it's quite small. I will post the best pix below. I am worried that it will get bigger though. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if this is covered under my warranty?

Thanks a lot

Old 08-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Default Re: Rust Already!?!?!

I had that happen on my old Maxima. It's superficial.

It's the reason they recommend touch-up paint. I'm sure any body shop can sand and paint it.

I'd say it's very doubtful that that would be covered under the rust warranty.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my wife's silver Ridgeline. My HCH II got hit in a parking lot some months back and was left with a big scratch through to the steel (no panel damage though). I've kept it waxed and it hasn't rusted yet.

Last edited by medicmike; 08-27-2007 at 06:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Make sure to clean out the surface first. There are some mini fiberglass brushes that do a great job of removing the rust without scratching the good paint.

Once cleaned out, then use matching touch up paint. If you are careful you can then buff it out and you won't even know the scratch was there to begin with.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

And given that its the white color making the touch-up paint practically invisible is much easier than with many of the other colors (mainly due to the lack of the heavy duty metallic bits).

Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 PM

Thanks a lot. Has anyone bought paint from paintscratch.com? They have these little paint-pens that I think would do the job pretty well.

Also, does anyone know about how much the stealer charges for a thing of touch-up paint.

Livvie: Where have you seen the fiberglass brushes? Any specific websites/auto chains.

Lastly, I was thinking about buying a nose mask. Does this really noticeably help with this kind of thing? Would you recommend the half or full?

Thanks a lot!