HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rear video camera integration with factory nav?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear video camera integration with factory nav?

I signed up with 8th Civic. I can now see your posting picture, thanks!!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

thanks.

am i understanding correctly that #'s 1, 4, and 7 on connector D are the pins for a backup camera ?

question: is there a recommended camera that will connect directly to these pins with a minimal amount of customizing / splicing etc...

i'd like to take this info to a local shop. its been my impression up till this post that the only way to feasibly get a backup camera was dealing with the tv and nav to go guys and paying upwards of 400$ for the head unit mod and then paying my local guy to install a backup camera... 800$-1000$ before its all said and done.

but if all we're looking at is installing a backup camera and connecting to 3 already existing pins... then this may be an option that has become more feasible

Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM

The backup camera from Honda is about $460.00. Of course the best way to install a backup camera would be an OEM appoarch. I understand manufactures cannot void your warranty if you use one of those aftermarket attachments, but dealers are another question.

I am looking to install the Honda Parking Sensors from the CR-V to my Civic. Since all of the connections for this unit is in the back of the Civic (no routing cables to the radio), it should be a straight forward install.

I will try the backup camera next.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can you talk more about the parking sensors? I know absolutely nothing about this. Does it generate an audible alarm when your rear bumper is close to an object?

If you don't mind, some pictures during your installation would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Soybean
Can you talk more about the parking sensors? I know absolutely nothing about this. Does it generate an audible alarm when your rear bumper is close to an object?

If you don't mind, some pictures during your installation would be awesome. Thanks!

Honda makes parking sensors for the CRV. Basically the sensors use an ultra-sound that bouces off objects near it. I will make a text digram below:

----------------------

post or object ............................Back of car
[] (ultra-sound) ......................./
[] >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> | /-----\
[] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |... |.. |
[] .........................................\__|... |___________

-------------------------------------------------

The sound is transmitted from the bumper sensors then the sensors listen for the return sound at an ultra fast speed. The sensors are not always on, it is on only when the car is in reverse.

You can also add aftermarket front and rear combination sensors (they are less expensive) if you don't want Honda's version. The aftermarket sensors in some cases are better (feature wise). My take on installing Honda's is resale value. I will be able to show the potential buyer it is a Honda OEM part. Sensors may also be covered by Honda's 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

<i>The backup camera from Honda is about $460.00. Of course the best way to install a backup camera would be an OEM appoarch. </i>

arbittan...

i spent an hour yesterday with a honda tech and parts guy at my local dealership. he was motivated to help find a way to make this work, btu we ran up against a brick wall as far as going OEM.

it does appear that the civic hybrid head unit is the same as the CR-V head unit and indeed the video input is there. further, the CR-V NAV rearview camera will work with the hybrid head unit.

however, that's where we hit the wall. the issue was finding the OEM harness to connect the camera to the hybrid head unit. we did locate a harness - however, the harness that was the one to use is actually the CR-V harness that is for nearly the entire CR-V electrical system and costs upwards of 1200$...

if you have a harness option that you have found - please post it.

thanks.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM

You might be able to use the existing harness. You will need to use a plug in terminating wire. Honda uses this appoarch when installing the fog lamps into the fuse box. Radio Shack should be able to sell you these connections.

I ordered the BASS audio kit, so my resources to the camera project has taken a back seat right now.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robwestcott
<i>The backup camera from Honda is about $460.00. Of course the best way to install a backup camera would be an OEM appoarch. </i>

arbittan...

i spent an hour yesterday with a honda tech and parts guy at my local dealership. he was motivated to help find a way to make this work, btu we ran up against a brick wall as far as going OEM.

it does appear that the civic hybrid head unit is the same as the CR-V head unit and indeed the video input is there. further, the CR-V NAV rearview camera will work with the hybrid head unit.

however, that's where we hit the wall. the issue was finding the OEM harness to connect the camera to the hybrid head unit. we did locate a harness - however, the harness that was the one to use is actually the CR-V harness that is for nearly the entire CR-V electrical system and costs upwards of 1200$...

if you have a harness option that you have found - please post it.

thanks.
Bumping an old thread... So i was exploring the same thoughts as you guys last night.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Product...=08V67-TX0-XXX

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Product...08V67-TA0-100A

Why couldn't I adapt a 2008 Honda Accord parking sensor setup and wiring harness, and with some nominal tweaking, make that work? I was suggesting the Accord kit becaise they offer it in my HCHII color - ASM. You rightfully could use the CR-Vs, Odysseys, or even the Acura TL/TSX kits... Franky, since you're going to have to do a little customization anyway, I'd go with a kit that's the lowest cost and similar in body design... Not sure the Odyssey sensors would be ideal on the HCH, they may be spec'd different to support the larger rear end of the Ody.

As rob and arbittan have noted, install of these systems is rather trivial, and rather universal. The only "adaptation" would be finding a place to mount the control box... which is really NBD in my mind, as long as it doesn't rattle. The entire system is powered off a reverse light tap, and is completely standalone.

(Yes, I also know you can buy aftermarket parking sensors for < $50, but those are not well made, and will likely not last long... I'd prefer to pay a few bills more for OEM products that will last the life of the car).

Secondly, with that thought in mind... The Nav systems across the Honda line are generally pretty universal... especially when it comes to the camera.

Could we not adopt the same principal here, and install the 2008 Accord Camera kit. If using the OE CR-V camera was such an issue due to the wiring harness, why couldn't we use the Accords wiring harness kit?

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Product...=08A77-6K1-000

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Product...=08B77-TA0-100

"more" adaptation would be required with mounting the camera and what not, but it lood to be quite doable.
Interestingly, both the sensor kits and the reverse camera kits are $350...
Where's that money tree again?

Thoughts?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM

The Accord and TSX both use a Panasonic Radio system. The CR-V and Civic use an Alpine system.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast

According to hondapartsdeals.com, the 2008 Accord is also using an Alpine Navi... but it appears to be of the traditional "seperate DVD drive" variety...

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hond...ponent=B++1120

Regardless, as long as the cameras produce the same format, RGB, or single wire signal, that the Navi is expecting, it shouldn't be too hard.

Anyone know if the Navi needs a firmware update to support recognition of these signals? I'm searching 8thgen civic right now, can't find the llink you guys reffered to.

Quick Reply: Rear video camera integration with factory nav?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands