HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rain sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rain sucks

My trip to Dallas to Houston netted a measly 48.5mpg since it practically rained all the way down there. Normally I'd be getting 50+ on such a trip and did so on the way back (where it only rained 1/5 of the way). Anyways due to the rain I tried pulse and glide to help some. Did pulse and glide on the way back but halfway up I got tired and found someone towing a horse trailer doing 60 and kept a steady speed and saw the mpg go up slowly! I must be doing something wrong! With a target of 60mph I'd rev up to 65mph around 3k rpm and as soon as I reach it keep the instant meter at 50mpg until I'm around 58mph and repeat. I know most people use a 10mph band but I was getting passed like crazy at 60mph, and one of the passers was an Insight! Also I'm not sure if it was because I had the A/C slightly on (mainly to prevent the windows from fogging because of all the rain) but on the glides I noticed I was getting a 1 bar forced regen such that the glides weren't that long. I also noticed that it was easier to keep the instant meter up around 65 the few times I overshot and got up to 67 or 68mph, maybe the gearing works better at 65 than at 60? Next time I might try a target of 65mph.

It's really disapointing as I had to really work, adjusting the pulse and glides as I see hills coming up and such, but then giving it all up about halfway through and watch the mpg get better! I may have gotten some draft help from the horse trailer but it was a small one, more of a pony trailer!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rain sucks

The A/C compressor is either on or off. It can't be "slightly on", unless you meant occasionally on.