HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Problem with electric power steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Problem with electric power steering

Hi, I just received this 2007 HCH-II(usa) after it had been sitting for a few years.

My wheel always wants to turn left by itself. If I let go of it, it just goes left all the way. And it's hard to steer right. Like there is no power assist turning the wheel right. I have it on jacks right now, wheels off. I checked the usual suspects.. ball joints, tie rods, struts.. They appear to be okay and the same on both sides. Even while on jacks.. While car is on.. I turn the wheel all the way to the right.. let go.. the wheel turns itself all the way to the left immediately.

Most people I talk to aren't familiar with electric power steering.. I was hoping this forum could help. Maybe a sensor is faulty? What is the process for diagnosing and fixing this? There aren't any engine lights with faulty EPS.. I think I need to look at the power steering mechanism.. Any direction?

of what I described.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem with electric power steering

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...tester-860277/

Old 08-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I tried that process described. It looks like it's for a Honda s2000. Probably has a similar EPS setup. I jump the pins and the EPS light doesn't go on when I go turn key to on.

I'm stumped and will try to see if a shop can at least diagnose or re calibrate this.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

The EPS module in my HCH-II started taking extra long to "kick-in" (or it would just stay off), so I replaced it. After replacement, my car exhibited similar behavior. At first, I could feel an oscillation at the center point of the steering. After a while, it went away, but steering remained easy one way and hard the other way. There were no codes or DTCs, so Honda informed me that it would be a $3000+ job to fix, involving replacing the entire steering rack. Upon reading in a couple of places online that the EPS module simply needed to be recalibrated (which is what I had thought all along, being a used unit from another car), I took my car back to Honda and demanded that they simply perform the recalibration procedure for me instead of following their typical diagnostic procedure. $150 later the problem was fixed and it has been working perfectly for months now. They were pleasantly surprised!

Old 03-04-2021, 06:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Techie007. You've inspired me to try this again. So I ended up taking it to the stealership.. I got the airbag recall done and I asked them to calibrate the steering. The tech called me and said the only way to fix it is replace steering rack.(they quoted $2800) I really still feel like it needs re-calibration. But the car has been sitting all winter still. My wife wants to pay $800 for a used steering rack and I would attempt to replace it myself.. And it doesn't sound easy. But after reading your story.. I am going to try to run Honda software myself and do it at home. I already have a copy of the software, I just need a usb link cable I think. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Old 03-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hatchback4life
Thanks Techie007. You've inspired me to try this again. So I ended up taking it to the stealership.. I got the airbag recall done and I asked them to calibrate the steering. The tech called me and said the only way to fix it is replace steering rack.(they quoted $2800) I really still feel like it needs re-calibration. But the car has been sitting all winter still. My wife wants to pay $800 for a used steering rack and I would attempt to replace it myself.. And it doesn't sound easy. But after reading your story.. I am going to try to run Honda software myself and do it at home. I already have a copy of the software, I just need a usb link cable I think. Thanks.
hey I have some good news for you!
Im new here so im glad to know that im not the only
one with this exact same problem .
My steering wheel was too easy to steer on left and hard to turn on right ... no EPS light
I just repaired it today with only a good scantool !
You have to erase all EPS codes ( mine has 5 or 6 permanent codes) and had 5 or 6 brake hydroboost codes .
so once deleted you can proceed to calibrate the TORQUE neutral sensor .
very easy to do about a 15min job
Steering is and operates like new now !
good luck 😉