HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Old Battery pack worth and P0A7F(03) with new Pack

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Old Battery pack worth and P0A7F(03) with new Pack

Dear All , I have few questions regarding old battery packs. I have changed mine with Chinese ones and still P0A7F(03) with IMA light. Its goes off after ignition on/off. Car still has power but does recalibrate.
Do you think I need to grid charge the new pack. All modules are registering 16.4 volts and only one is 15.8v.

Also old packs are now out of the car for couple of weeks , initiaially they were showing 14.4 plus volts on all and some in range of 15 volts. Now they are around 11 - 12v range and in self discharge I guess. Can these be revived or are too old for anything useful

Last but not the lease what scan tool does show module voltages , Is it only the Honda HIM tool , I cannot find anything in the cheap scan tool range to check these.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Old Battery pack worth and P0A7F(03) with new Pack

15.8 vs. 16.4 is a HUGE difference. That is why you are still getting a P0A7F. You likely got bad sticks.

Old sticks are likely complete junk.

Only HDS or other professional diagnostic tool can read module voltages.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your super fast response as always , what is the minimum or max difference that should be there between sticks.
I am getting the ima assist and its also recharging but on motor way it comes up with P0A7F all working so what you recommend replacing that one stick that is 15.8 should make the difference?

Also a local tech who works with hybrids here in Dublin said that you would need grid charge the New pack. I did get it after 2 months of being sitting in customs so do you think the entire pack would need to be balanced/grid charged .even if its new ?

Old 05-07-2021, 10:33 AM

As you noticed, 10 of the 11 are 16.4 with one at 15.8. All modules should be nearly identical. At-rest voltages of healthy modules will be less than 0.05V. Honestly, they rarely vary by more than .02 if they are truly healthy, but .05 might be okay.

Grid charging has been known to damage Chinese sticks. They put too much electrolyte in them, and they vent.

Remove ALL modules.

On the 15.8V module, check each cell voltage (12) by poking small holes through the shrink and record. The barrel of the cell is in common with the (-), so you can measure between the barrels of two adjacent cells. If all 12 cells are the same voltage, or if all 6 of one stick are the same, then you have hope.

If all cells in each stick are very close to one another, get a NiMH hobby charger capable of 5A charging 6S NiMH cells. Charge each individual 6 cell stick @ 5A to 8.6V. You will have to watch this and terminate manually, and the voltage reading MUST be taken by a separate voltmeter.

Reassemble.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you boss! all points noted . I will give that a go and let you know my findings on module in question. The Chinese supplier is saying to give him the serial number of the affected module with OBD error picture and he will send me a replacement.
To be honest my wife is saying we could have got a new 2nd hand car , instead of investing time $ and effort in this , I somewhat agree but then I think what is the fun in that I have to give it a go and learn something new.

Have a great weekend!

Old 05-07-2021, 11:38 AM

I would absolutely take them up on that offer. I suspect that a single cell of the module accounts for the majority of the error, and that indicates a failed cell.