HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Oil status and FE

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Oil status and FE

Has anyone out there had any experience with FE dropping as a result of <30% oil life? My first oil change was done at 5000 miles. I am now at 30% oil life and seeing a decrease in FE. Since temps are getting warmer I would not expect to see this, and I am down about 10mpg from where I would expect in warm weather. Any suggestions??

thanks,
jco

Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Oil status and FE

That sounds odd. I don't recall anyone posting an MPG drop like that. Some folks have posted drops in MPG immediately AFTER an oil change (I didn't experience this, though), but this sounds like a first. I'd suspect some other variable is the culprit.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

John;

I agree with Steve. Perhaps you can tells us more about your setup, like:
-Tire pressures
-Actual temperatures
-Mods (Winter tires, radiator block, block heater, etc?)
-Heck, even driving regimes and duration of trips.
-Use of defrost and heater.
-Type and brand of gas you use.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

1. Tire pressure is 42 in all tires
2. Actual temperature 60-75 degrees
3. Block heater
4. Use of defrost and heater: none-no ac either
5. Gas: Shell or diamond shamrock regular

Ok, here's the kicker....I got my oil changed this morning. My commute from the dealer to work (30 miles) average was 78 mpg...my best commute ever. That's kind of odd, but based on what I have averaged (50-60mpg tanks) during the winter (I'm in texas, mind you) I was expecting to see even better tanks. I can only assume my mpg hit was old oil.

jco

Old 03-27-2007, 10:13 AM
World's First Hybrid

Sounds more like a change from winter blend fuels to summer blend fuels in some areas or it may be just crappy gas. I've noticed a significant diff in FE between Shell and Mobil here in the NE. The latter giving me better FE. (Not a plug for XOM)

They may have lowered the amount of ethanol in the fuel.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Oil status and FE

Originally Posted by jcaho
1. Tire pressure is 42 in all tires
2. Actual temperature 60-75 degrees
3. Block heater
4. Use of defrost and heater: none-no ac either
5. Gas: Shell or diamond shamrock regular

Ok, here's the kicker....I got my oil changed this morning. My commute from the dealer to work (30 miles) average was 78 mpg...my best commute ever. That's kind of odd, but based on what I have averaged (50-60mpg tanks) during the winter (I'm in texas, mind you) I was expecting to see even better tanks. I can only assume my mpg hit was old oil.

jco
I have no thought on the oil change dropping your FE.

I do have this comment to you. Congrats on the 78 MPG 30 mile drive along with the 50-60 MPG tanks you get as an average. Very well done IMO.

FYI I just had the Honda Dealer change my oil and filter in my 06 HCH II. I provided them with Mobil 1 full synthetic 0-20 oil. I mention this just in case in the future you would like to upgrade your oil. I purchased the oil at Wallmart. If you wonder where to get the best price.

Almost forgot, they also did the Recall that had been sent out on the back seat rubbing through the insulator for the IMA Cable. Something of that nature, I may be typing this wrong but thought I would mention it to you. Just went back reading the Thread Topics and there is one about the IMA Cable:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=12501

Terry (tiger)

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-27-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added Link to IMA Thread here on GH:
Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

ralph,

The problem with the gas theory (which is a very good point) for me is that it was the same tank of gas.

terry,

Thanks! You know, what really scared me this morning was after I got in the car, the little decal on the windshield said that they had put in 5w-20. I drove back and was really pissed off, and he said that he knew for sure they used standard 0w-20 oil because it is only available from the parts department. Apparently it was just a mistake from the person who wrote it. They didn't have the synthetic oil you speak of although I know other dealers have it. I will probably have it changed very soon and use the synthetic. I am slow to believe the dealership that serviced the car today, although with a drive like that, I can hardly knock whatever they put in there!

I have not received anything from honda on the ima cable. I'll check the thread though.

jco