HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Oil Change Price Increase

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Change Price Increase

Personal experience from changing oil yesterday for first time in my HCH: The rhino ramps allows the rubber (?) air dam to drag going up and down, and I am not real comfortable with it - but beware if your HCH sits lower than normal. Darn plastic panel does not drop down enough to allow oil-catch-pan to get under oil drain. So my first oil change also needed 10 pounds of kitty litter to clean the oil out of the driveway! Oil filter is so much easier to replace it almost makes up for the aggravation of the plastic panel. Has anyone figured out a way of draining the oil without spillage when using ramps? BTW, got my Mobile 1 0W20 and filter at Advance Auto Parts at the sale price of $26.95 (5 quarts)

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holicow
Ramps not necessary. Just undo the 4 fasteners at the front of the plastic cover and the front will drop down giving easy access to the filter.

Use your oil extractor to remove the oil from above.

I finished in about 15 minutes...and this was the first change. Next time should be about 5.
Just reiterating my previous post.

You need a shallow oil collecting pan, an "open" one, not one with a closed top and a drain hole, to fit in there, but otherwise it is very easy.

I have ramps, but did not need them.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GardenWeasel
So my first oil change also needed 10 pounds of kitty litter to clean the oil out of the driveway!
That's why you change your oil over the yard! The added benefit is that whatever spills can be harvested by our grandkids when they're chasing $1000/bbl oil!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GardenWeasel
So my first oil change also needed 10 pounds of kitty litter to clean the oil out of the driveway!
That's why you change your oil over the yard! The added benefit is that whatever spills can be harvested by our grandkids when they're chasing $1000/bbl oil!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

LOL! My neighbors always wondered why I keep a snow shovel - those watching found there is method to my madness...

Originally Posted by BenderX

Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast

Has anyone just left the undercarriage off? I'm trying it right now to see what kind of a difference it might make as far as noise, dirt, and aerodynamics. So far I have seen no difference.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 06-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good grief people! I am trying to help.

If you just remove the very front 4 fasteners, (2 bolts and 2 clips) and pull down on the second section of the undertray, the whole front of it comes down and you can get to everything.

You do NOT need ramps.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holicow
Good grief people! I am trying to help.

If you just remove the very front 4 fasteners, (2 bolts and 2 clips) and pull down on the second section of the undertray, the whole front of it comes down and you can get to everything.

You do NOT need ramps.
harrumph! YOU may not need ramps, but I ain't trying to maneuver under it without 'em. I am not THAT 'thin'. Either that or my car must be lower than yours.

Last edited by GardenWeasel; 06-17-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: edited to say I am smiling while typing...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
"Manalo"

what the!??! You do NOT need ramps?!?! How much ground clearance does your HCHII have? Either that, or you must be a really THIN

Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm a medium build person and I can't get under my car without the ramps. Well, I could but my nose would be touching the undercarriage.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Price Increase

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands