HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Originally Posted by jayhawker
I have seen numerous hybrids (we get a funky light blue plate) that don't want to take advantge of using the HOV lane during the rush hour traffic. They would rather sit in the bumper to bumper traffic maybe doing 5 miles and hour while I am zipping buy them.
The problem with HOV lanes is that a lot of drivers assume that it's less about bypassing traffic and more about speeding with supposed impunity. I got a honking on the weekend for being in an HOV lane and going the speed limit, holding back the guy behind me who wanted to go at least 20% faster. Jerk.

There's something to be said about enjoying a calm and relaxing ride. Who needs the added stress in their lives? It takes self-discipline and removing one's self from automatically reacting emotionally to the things that they cannot change, like bad drivers. Personally, I know that when I begin to drive aggressively (not to be confused with driving assertively) my behaviour starts to take a dive and before I know it I'm using my vehicle like its an outlet for aggression. Besides, I know what speed and acceleration are like; Cheap thrills, as far as I'm concerned, and I can get my fill on the amusement rides.

While car makers appeal to people's baser instincts, to go instead for the lower-powered vehicle will make someone a better driver because they will know their limits sooner than the speeder who is still trying to find the ceiling.

Any ways, drive the car the way you think best. The brilliant thing about the HCH is that it's doing most of the work for you. You don't need a diploma in efficient driving theory to get results.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's how it is here Spinner. The commuter lane usually travels 75-80 and if you doing the speed limit of 65 you will have people riding your bumper and motioning you to get over. I for one will not hold others back. I will get out of place, let them pass and get back in, or I will speed up till I catch up to a slower car.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 AM
HOV lane commuter

Originally Posted by spinner
The problem with HOV lanes is that a lot of drivers assume that it's less about bypassing traffic and more about speeding with supposed impunity. I got a honking on the weekend for being in an HOV lane and going the speed limit, holding back the guy behind me who wanted to go at least 20% faster. Jerk.
Reality check from Calif.: If you're in the HOV lane on a weekend going the speed limit, you are probably the jerk. It is what it is.

Last edited by JRCaesar; 10-20-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
Reality check from Calif.: If you're in the HOV lane on a weekend going the speed limit, you are probably the jerk. It is what it is.
Does the day of the week/hour of the day give you the right to speed? Most carpool lanes in Southern CA are ALWAYS carpool lanes. Here in Northern CA, most are time metered (6-10am and 3-7pm weekdays), and each are a different # of people (2 or 3). So day of the week will matter as to who is in the carpool lane, but that 65mph (or 70mph if you're lucky) speed limit applies to ANY lane you're in!

Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

In AZ the times are 0600 to 0900 and 1500 to 1900. Most people in the HOV travel at 75+. I would not hold someone back from getting around me. It's a shame others won't show that same courtesey. They are not required to since they meet the HOV criteria, it just sucks when you get stuck behind someone that won't keep up with the flow of traffic.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Angry Re: Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Unbelievable, TRULY unbelievable !!!

Those who follow the posted speed limit, those who follow the law, and those who heed the universal warning of sensibility that "speed kills" are now called Jerks !!!!

????? Jerks ?????

Then now, we justify our "speeding" because it is MORE "courteous" to "keep with the flow" ????

So, let us then entertain this almost analogous scenario:

If there's a riot where most people are breaking store windows and walking off with stuff and if we were to be right in the middle of it all, then by the same mentality of "keeping with the flow", you would not only ignore the local laws, the cries of the store owners and those overrun by the rampaging crowds, but you would also join in???? Right?

After all, following the law is less important and more dangerous than blending in with the crowd and doing what they do. You would (god forbid) get killed if you did not. Correct?

Please, let us all think about it for a moment.

Many of us who bought a fuel efficient hybrid for the greater reasons find this rationale as revolting as it is disgusting.
No wonder our society is so deprived of character and so darn selfish. Now we're being told that following the law is the wrong thing to do.

Cheers;

Manuel

Last edited by msantos; 10-23-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well said! , couldn't agree with you more, msantos. H

Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

When a majority of people disregard a law, the law is unenforceable. That is the case with speed limits - to a point. In most places, that is 10 mph or so above the limit - but it definitely depends on location. The riot analogy is a bit extreme since a majority of reasonable people would not do that and it represents a direct quantifiable harm to a class of people.

Speed limits are arbitrary. Speed kills but driving kills - should we stop driving? In a modern car - going 10 mph above the speed limit is not exactly reckless or dangerous. Is it slightly more dangerous than going the speed limit? - Yes - but only if everyone else is on the same page. Since a majority is not, the slower speed is probably a bit more dangerous but for the sake of argument it is equal.

Since driving the speed limit in the left lane (or HOV lane as is mentioned here) is no safer and it holds back people from getting where they want to go - it can be seen as being rude. Most here drive slower than average to save $$ and/or reduce emissions. For the majority - going slower is not worth it for the money and for the environmental damage. Is it selfish? - perhaps. But looking at it from a strickly money standpoint, it is selfish to drive the speed limit (left lane again) and hold back other drivers. You are doing it to save money but you are holding people up from working/living/etc.

I for one would love to drive 100 mph and do it without using fossil fuels. Outside of efficiency issues, I think 85-90 mph is safe with modern cars on certain highways even with some of our terrible drivers. Now if you could legislate that people went 55 mph, you would instantly save a lot of carbon but you can't. A higher gas tax is even more politically feasible than an enforced 55 mph (ie with lots of cameras or mandatory governers).

Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 AM
HypoFueler

I guess to many, that speed limits are optional and that "going with the flow" and "not holding up faster traffic" is the real law...

Seems that there will always be "jerks" driving slower than you, holding you up and sometimes you will be the jerk since there is someone who wants to go faster than you as 75 is not fast enough for those who want to go 85...

Some say here that you should get over - out of HOV lane, to let faster speeding traffic pass. Perhaps there should now be two HOV lanes with the left one for passing. Lets call it the "speeding" HOV lane or SHOV

Last edited by spartybrutus; 10-24-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by 300TTto545
The riot analogy is a bit extreme since a majority of reasonable people would not do that and it represents a direct quantifiable harm to a class of people.
A "little extreme" ?????

I guess it depends on your perspective.
If you are doing it (rioting or speeding) then you appreciate those who reinforce and validate your actions. By the same token they would be promoting harmony among those who think like you and you derive a "sense of safety" and crowd compliance !!!

HOWEVER, If you are seeing it done AND you know it is wrong then ANY "reasonable person" knows it is not only a violation of the law but also legally and morally indefensible.
Breaking the law is not reasonable in speeding or rioting.

You say the analogy is a "little extreme" because it hurts to be compared to a petty and cruel criminal when he feels "one with the riot crowd" ?

For many of us the analogy is absolutely fitting !!! The law-breakers are in the majority and the harm is significant and undeniable. Only the rioter (speeder) does not see it as he/she is sharing on the selfishness of their actions.

here's what is reasonable:

Driving legally does NOT kill !!!!

Add speeding (law breaking) to the equation and ...
Driving illegally kills !!!!

MSantos

Quick Reply: Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands