HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

No power at all after someone ‘helped’ jump start hch2

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default No power at all after someone ‘helped’ jump start hch2

Health conditions have kept me bedridden for about 6 months and out of my 2007 hch2.
i have been driving it to doc apts and it has gotten some highway miles, but last night my 12v battery was low enough to not start the car. Main battery has not worked in 2 years.

since it is difficult to walk and get out of the car. When a guy offered to help me jump it, I was a bit wary but eager to avoid the pain from my broken back.

he cross wired the battery

magic smoke appeared

car was completely dead, previously the dash would light up a bit and flicker

i happened to have a known good battery in the back which I installed, without his assistance. Completely dead car.

I am hoping the legendary S Keith or someone else can give some suggestions. Is there a reset or fuse to prevent suck idiocy? Or did I take out the fuses and possibly the computer.

hard to do much in the way of diagnostics from my wheelchair. But so long as fixing is under the cost of a newer car I will try it.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No power at all after someone ‘helped’ jump start hch2

At best, a fusible link blew. This is a pretty common occurrence in a Prius due to the jump start configuration, and I am familiar with it, Unfortunately, I don't have any idea of a similar component on the HCH2, so my guidance is speculative.

The sighting of the magic smoke suggest worst case - one or more of the computers fried.

STEP ONE: DISCONNECT 12V BATTERY.

Step 2: Obtain a multimeter capable of DC volts and resistance checks, Ohms, Ω.

Step 3: Check battery voltage. If less that 12.5V, it needs to be charged.

Step 4: fuses, fuses, fuses.

Start with BOTH under-hood fuse boxes and check all "standard" fuses - the colored ones with the the amps listed on them.

Replace any bad fuses. Often, it can be difficult to check fuses visually, and that's what the multimeter Ohm checker is for.

Here's an old thread at honda-tech.com that never had any resolution, and your situation is different, but the diagrams apply:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...start-3234966/

You're most concerned with item #1 in the fuse box diagram on those pages. With any luck, it's the only thing that popped.

Important to check ALL fuses including the under-dash fuses. The under-dash fuses are challenging for most full sized humans with limited mobility or carrying extra weight, let alone someone in a wheelchair.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

As usual you are a God send sir. Fortunately the magic smoke that I could see was at the old terminal and battery. I am fairly certain I have a multimeter so I will start checking fuses this afternoon and report back.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's encouraging. It might have been violent venting of the battery due to reverse polarity. Was the smoke accompanied by the typical "burnt electronics" smell?

Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

I was inside the car when it happened. So no idea, I am hoping it was all at the battery. May still need to replace terminal connectors in addition to the fuses. Waiting on a friend to get a micro fuse puller from walleye world then I will go start pulling and testing fuses.