HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

NiMH battery conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NiMH battery conditioning

Originally Posted by msantos
Mike:

I really do not wish to blow this issue out of proportion and cause people to fear the batteries they've got. However, this should also be something that we should all be aware of... since this issue is not without precedents. If there's a chance to manage the SoC in regular mountain driving then much of this fear is trivial and almost insignificant. But, if the climbs are prolonged to such an extend that the SoC is depleted at the top or even earlier then IMO the best recourse is to have a solid extended warranty at hand.

Harold:

There's nothing more that I would like than to be wrong on this issue.
Sadly, I fear history may continue to prove that folks who live and drive in mountainous areas may experience battery failures well before those of us who live in flatter regions. As a matter of fact, I do not expect a single failure out of my batteries on any of my cars, and yes, I intend to keep them for a long time.

MSantos
I live in the Pocono Mountains, and my HCHII has to climb a 7% 4 mile hill every day to get home. It hardly ever uses the battery pack to pull the hill if I use cruise control set at 55. The ICE is revving 4K to 4.5K all the way up, but the IMA shows no boost. If the headlights and AC are on, it seems to lose 2 bars of SOC climbing the hill, but that doesn't seem bad to me.

Occasionally, it will recal on the way up the hill, with the SOC dropping down from 5 bars to 1 bar in a second or two, yet the IMA was showing no boost on the way up. At the top of the hill, it will not recharge right away, but after a short while, it recharges normally.

Maybe the instrumentation is not the best.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Being I have a 2004 I have had several software updates, I suspect they are tweaks to the method of charge/ discharge protocol that " provides the conditions" to enhance battery life.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Medical carts with NiMh batteries are actually warrantied for 18 months or less. The carts we use recommend changing the batteries every 12 months.

Its interesting that Hybrids can go or be warrantied for 8 years. I could be the number of battery cells the Hybrids use that make it last longer, but 8 years seems exaggerated ...

Old 11-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Energy Independence

It's the careful monitoring of the battery's State of Charge. Not allowing it to fully discharge or fully charge, or charge/discharge when the temperatures are too high/low, etc. Also, careful matching of individual cells in the pack. Much more scrutiny is given to the battery pack and its controlled charge/discharge patterns. This allows for a much longer battery life.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We have the same color Hybrid with Navi

Old 11-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by arbittan
We have the same color Hybrid with Navi
I think it's the best combo, personally!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbittan
Medical carts with NiMh batteries are actually warrantied for 18 months or less. The carts we use recommend changing the batteries every 12 months.

Its interesting that Hybrids can go or be warrantied for 8 years. I could be the number of battery cells the Hybrids use that make it last longer, but 8 years seems exaggerated ...
I learned this from a battery engineer that was sitting next to me in an embedded processor class. He said that hybrid cars run the state of charge between a very small window, I think he said 56% to 62% or something like that. Within this range, nimh lasts a long time.

Other electronics, like laptops and the medical cart, are run from 100% to near empty. That shortens the life of the nimh cells a lot.

Out here in California, the batteries are warrantied for 10 years, 150k miles.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

What I've always heard is that hybrids keep the battery between 40-80% state of charge or something very similar. Between 56-6@% state of charge is too little. It's only 6%!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
Not allowing it to fully discharge or fully charge, or charge/discharge when the temperatures are too high/low, etc.

Just so I understand this correctly: Are you saying that it is BAD or GOOD to allow it to fully discharge/charge ?

I'm a newbie here and trying to soak up all the tips I can. I just bought my HCH II a week ago and have already put 1000 miles on it (went on a road trip this weekend).

In the last week (1000 miles) the battery has hit 8 Bars (fully charged) ONLY ONCE. It stayed at 8 bars for just a short time (less than 2 minutes). That was on a long stretch of highway.

All other times it fluctuates between 3-7 bars. Usually hoovers around 5-6 bars.

Is that good - or should I be concerned that it is not working correctly? I was very surprised that over 1000 miles, it tapped 8 bars only once.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's bad to fully charge or discharge. The car's computer won't let you do anything really bad to the batteries so no worries there but efficiency wise you want to avoid both. If you let it get too low the car will then do a force charge (usually around 4 bars) and you'll lose 10% to 20% efficiency while it is doing that. This will happen from time to time so no worries. If you let it go too high then it won't charge the batteries at all and then you lose the ability of regaining the energy when you do have to brake.

Getting 8 bars isn't too hard to do if you've been on the highway a while. Just let her coast from 65 to 30 (if you're already around 6 or 7 bars which is most likely if you are on the highway). My trip to mom's always has this section where the traffic just slowly piles up and I usually hit 8 bars there and having to use the real brakes to slow down.

Quick Reply: NiMH battery conditioning

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands