HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New tire search

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Enjoying my hybrid
Default Re: New tire search

I also recently received Sumitomo HTR200's from TIRE-RACK (about 2 months ago) and have been very disappointed with the mpg. After properly inflating them (close to max), I still lost about 10% mpg. That being said, they handle WAY better than the OEMs and ride better too. For people not so in-tune to mpg, these tires would be great, but those of us on this forum place a higher premium (no pun intended) on fuel consumption. I got 40k miles out of the OEM Dunlops, but I will look for another alternative when it comes time to replace these Sumitomos.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Wish I new it all!

After reading the reviews online for the Dunlops I purchased BF Goodrich gForce Super Sport Tires for my new rims, they are great and stick to the road like crazy...which is also their biggest flaw. Next time I buy tires for my HCHII I will buy something better than the Dunlops for handling, but not as good as BF Goodrich. And as you can tell, I am not one who puts a premium on MPGs, but I still want to drive a car that is good for the environment.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No one buys OEM anymore?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: New tire search

Got 36K miles out of my SP31's. Might still be able to use for summer tread, but I'm very close to tread wear indicators.

I too have a brand new set of SP31's on rims with 15miles on them. I'd sell for $525.00, but local? pick-up would be best; very hard to ship. In a few weeks I'll have a set of stock rims with 36K miles for sale $$$$ - price, I don't know. I'm installing a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on new rims. Great reviews for tires on Tire Rack. Costco has for $384.00 installed after $60 rebate.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Think green.

Originally Posted by nash
I'm looking for new tires for my TCH. One I am considering is the Cooper CS4 Touring tire. It is a LRR tire according to their web site. Has anyone tried it?
nash,
Did you decide to go with the Cooper tires, or are you still researching?
I am going nuts trying to decide what tires to get next.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

I took my stock Bridgestones to 61000 miles before reaching the tread wear indicators. These tires were run at 39psi cold, and rotated at each oil change. I do not have the updated suspension arms. I have replaced them with an identical set of Bridgestone SEs and paid $365 out the door with all the bells and whistles from my local independent tire store (Barney's in Temecula).

All new tires run quieter for the first 5000+ miles. But one year down the road they all pick up some additional noise due to uneven rates of wear. Giving up MPG for noise is not in my view a trade off worth making due to the fact that the noise will return in some fashion, the MPG will not.

Let us all know how your tire choice worked out. I am happy with my tire performance, but would love to know that some real options exist. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
nash,
Did you decide to go with the Cooper tires, or are you still researching?
I am going nuts trying to decide what tires to get next.
I still am researching - but will need to make a decision soon...

I've narrowed it down to three tires:

Kumho Solus K21, 680 A-B 44psi #3 rated in category by tirerack
General Altimax HP, 440 A-A 51psi #1 rated in category by tirerack
Cooper CS4 Touring, 560 A-A 44psi

All use silica tread compound and are close in price. Several folks with a Prius claimed no mpg drop for these Kumho and General tires. A few folks complained about the Kumhos being out of round - the majority didn't. The Cooper CS4 has very few reviews so it is hard to say. Cooper said
Thank you for contacting us and considering Cooper Tires. We do not
rate our tires for rolling resistance. Thanks for your inquiry.
Pam
Consumer Quality Systems
Cooper Tire & Rubber Co.
I'm interested in comments on any of these tires.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Think green.

Yeah, I've been walking around with a note in my pocket that has the names of all these tires I'm considering.

Presently I am running on the original Dunlop SP20FEs. They're 4 years old now, at less than 40,000 miles. Lots of small cracks in the rubber and the outside tread is nearly gone. I have a great set of Nokian snow tires, but it's too early to put those on yet. I was hoping to stretch it to snow season, but I don't know if the Dunlops will make it or not.

I also have been considering the Cooper CS4s and the General Altimax RT.
Others on the list: Nokian I3, Vredestein Hi-Trac, and maybe the other OE tire for the HCH I, the Bridgestone B381. I don't want the fuel economy to suffer, but I hope I can find a tire that's better in the rain than the Dunlops.

I don't think we'll be able to get LRR data for a few years yet. California is making an effort, but so far the data just isn't out there. A lot of manufacturers say they do such & such for better rolling resistance, but there are no numbers for comparison. So I spend lots of time reading reviews & googling.
Maybe I will ask my tire guy what he thinks of some of these brands.
If anyone has anything good or bad to say from their own experience with any of these tires, let us know.
Thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by nash
Kumho Solus K21, 680 A-B 44psi #3 rated in category by tirerack
General Altimax HP, 440 A-A 51psi #1 rated in category by tirerack
Cooper CS4 Touring, 560 A-A 44psi
Yeah I know these brands are all related to big brands, but that list looks a bit too economical for me.

Maybe I'm just a tire snob.

nf

Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default my 2˘

I'd just like to share with you my pick for a tire and why.

I very highly recommend Michelin tires of all types and applications.

I have used Michelin tires exclusively on all of my vehicles since 1962. I have never had a blowout, or any type of issue with any of the tires. These tires have over 500,000 miles over the last 46 years.

My current favorite model for general purpose automotive use is the Pilot Exalto, and for performance use, the Pilot Sport.

They are not the most expensive tires, and not the most inexpensive, but they offer the best value and cost/mile of just about any brand.

You will not regret a Michelin decision.

Quick Reply: New tire search

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands