HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Hybrid Evangelist
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Could this be a control arm issue? Have you had the control arms replaced?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Not sure what it was; there was a specific part in my rear right suspension that the tire shop claimed could not be adjusted enough to get my tire into alignment; I assumed it was from bumping that wheel against the curb while parallel parking, but elected not to have it fixed because I'd previously gotten great mileage.

My coworker's daughter has a normal honda civic (same year) that went off the road, and when the tow truck winched it back to the road by attaching straps to the two rear wheels, it bent them way out of true and the entire rear suspension had to be replaced, so I think the rear suspension just generally really weak if pushed from the front or back of the wheels.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Great Mileage and Green

I went with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires, $592 for all four with lifetime balancing and alingnment, as well as road hazzard coverage. In addition to Tire Rack, these were rated very high in Consumer Reports, where one of the criteria is LRR (it rated very good). I will be watching to see how these compare with the Dunlops.

Last edited by erscolo; 07-10-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 AM
HypoFueler

Hi,

I replaced OEM Dunlops at 18k miles with Mich MXV4s in Dec 2007 - due to wear from the control arm TSM

Although the Michelins are "LRR" they really have reduced my FE by ~5% versus the Dunlops. I can tell by the coasting distance dropping off even with Mich at 50psi versus the Dunlops at 45psi.

On the other hand the Michelins are less harsh and are much better handling in any weather.

my 2 cents.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockMonkey
For half the price, the cheapest tire they have in this size is actually rated pretty high. Has anyone tried these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=S
For the same cost, I tried these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=S

I can't say enough good things about them. Had them for over 10k now and they are better than the stock tires in almost everyway. Most importantly, they are equal to the stock tires for LRR qualities. No significant drop in FE...

I remember my wife asking exactly what kind of quaility and durability do you think you are going to get for $250.00 tires!?! I can tell you now, that I have been nothing but pleased with my investment in these Sumitomo HTR 4's...

Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Hybrid Evangelist

Originally Posted by erscolo
I went with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires, $592 for all four with lifetime balancing and alingnment, as well as road hazzard coverage. In addition to Tire Rack, these were rated very high in Consumer Reports, where one of the criteria is LRR (it rated very good). I will be watching to see how these compare with the Dunlops.
Where did you buy them, tire rack?

Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast

Hi

My new HCH II has Bridgestone - Insignia SE200.

http://highperformancetire.com/home....ction=0&page=2

How are they?

Rick

Old 07-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Update on the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Since installing them 4000 miles ago, my FE continues to increase. It is currently 21% better than with the OE Bridgestone tires.

I bought mine at Costco. They currently have a $60 cash back promotion for a set of 4 Michelins. Price includes road hazard protection, a 45,000 mile manufacturers tread wear warranty and lifetime balance and rotate. Price for 4 was $524 net w/Tax.

Very good tire, I recommend them.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

I got the Michelin X-radial about 4000k miles ago to replace the Dunlops.
My mileage had dropped from 47ish to 42ish. But the new tires are so much smoother than the OEM tires and handle much better. I just didn't want to get new tires for like 80k miles. Got them at Costco when they had a $60 rebate.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The Michelin X are an older design and are a good budget tire. It will be interesting to see if your FE returns.

Quick Reply: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands