HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need to replace garbage Dunlop tires after 25,000 on 09 -- Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Need to replace garbage Dunlop tires after 25,000 on 09 -- Recommendations?

Michelin Energy Saver A/S on both of our 2008 HCH II.

I am more conservative in my driving habits than my wife, and can give you a fair opinion on what these tires performance have done for me.

The Michelin Energy Saver A/S replaced oem dunlops. I replaced mine around October 2010 before winter setting in. At first driving, the impact of road sound level was amazingly quiet in comparison to the entire life of the dunlops. Secondly, the fuel efficiency saving equation did not immediately satisfy my expectations, but with the onset of the colder temperatures I wasn't expecting to have any gains in this area.

The spring time warmth returned to our area, and lo-and-behold, up jumped the fuel efficiency. Compared with the dunlops, there was a moderate improvement with the Michelin's. I am averaging upper 50 mpg, where as with the dunlops it was consistently in the mid to lower 50's in the same ambient weather temps. My commute to work is approx. 120 miles round trip. I have a good rapport with the drive by wire pedal in my vehicle.

Conclusion, expect an initial break-in period with any new tire. The replacement Michelin Energy Saver A/S are a definite improvement over the OEM dunlops.

Note: The second set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires for my wife's car were purchased from Tire Rack Mid-March 2011, but were getting scarce in quantity. Only a few of these tires were left and scattered across several different warehouses in the country. The set purchased for my car was a special order from Costco last year (2010) in October.

I live in the central part, State of Washington, USA.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Need to replace garbage Dunlop tires after 25,000 on 09 -- Recommendations?

Originally Posted by TainterGate
Michelin Energy Saver A/S on both of our 2008 HCH II... Conclusion, expect an initial break-in period with any new tire. The replacement Michelin Energy Saver A/S are a definite improvement over the OEM dunlops.
Thanks for your helpful and interesting review!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Rookie Enthusiast
Default Re: Need to replace garbage Dunlop tires after 25,000 on 09 -- Recommendations?

thanks for the info, James. I ended up contacting Michelin and Tire Rack again about when Energy Savers might be back in stock for the HCH II. Turns out they are currently out of production (and for the foreseeable future) due to the global rubber shortage. Apparently, a combination of reduced rubber production and increased demand (particularly from China) has caused Michelin to focus its production on styles and sizes that sell the best. Sadly, the Energy Saver A/S that fits the HCHII is not one of them. I've just about worn out my existing tires and needed to make a choice. After reading through the Tire Rack review again, and talking with a Tire Rack rep at some length (who I felt was giving me his honest opinions), I ended up going with the Michelin Harmony. Not rated quite as well in several categories as the Energy Saver, but still pretty good for my ambient conditions (lotsa rain, not too much cold weather). I'll post how they do once I've had them on for awhile.

cheers

Philip

Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pcope
thanks for the info, James. I ended up contacting Michelin and Tire Rack again about when Energy Savers might be back in stock for the HCH II. Turns out they are currently out of production (and for the foreseeable future) due to the global rubber shortage. Apparently, a combination of reduced rubber production and increased demand (particularly from China) has caused Michelin to focus its production on styles and sizes that sell the best. Sadly, the Energy Saver A/S that fits the HCHII is not one of them. I've just about worn out my existing tires and needed to make a choice. After reading through the Tire Rack review again, and talking with a Tire Rack rep at some length (who I felt was giving me his honest opinions), I ended up going with the Michelin Harmony. Not rated quite as well in several categories as the Energy Saver, but still pretty good for my ambient conditions (lotsa rain, not too much cold weather). I'll post how they do once I've had them on for awhile.

cheers

Philip
Bummer, Philip (re: that Energy Saver is not being manufactured due to rubber shortage). Anyway, please post a follow up if you can about the new tires you got. --ag

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you have not purchaced yet, take a look at Kuhmo Eco Solis, I wrote a review elsewhere in this forum & am very happy with them.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Need to replace garbage Dunlop tires after 25,000 on 09 -- Recommendations?

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl
If you have not purchaced yet, take a look at Kuhmo Eco Solis, I wrote a review elsewhere in this forum & am very happy with them.
You might consider putting a link to your review here for others to save them the trouble of searching – good to know there's a Kuhmo LRR tire, thanks!

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 07-28-2011 at 10:44 AM.