HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

neat article on HCH2 from Australia

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default neat article on HCH2 from Australia

your thoughts and experiences compared to this?

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_3066/article.html

Old 10-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: neat article on HCH2 from Australia

I'll agree with most points. Stop and crawl traffic is a bit annoying as is high throttle acceleration. For me 99% of driving is reasonable traffic and highway - where it does great. Stop and crawl clearly favors the Prius and TCH. It is really not that jerky when the engine stops and starts but you do notice it most of the time. I do think that the electric assist comes on just fine when you accelerate so that comment I don't agree with.

Average driver does not care as much about drivetrain issues I think.

I will say that the Prius does the same high revs during brisk acceleration (as any CVT would)- I can't say which is more harsh but it was definitely an issue in the Prius also. I don't really know why the HCH engine would rev more harshly than any other Honda but it does seem to.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Seems since the standard has been set on running on battery alone, any car that doesn't gets judged harshly.

He doesn't know one thing about traffic either, give yourself enough room and you can coast by on the cars forward momentum at under 7 mph.

He uses alot of prius comparison without giving details, personally I think he drives a prius

Old 10-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A pretty fair assessment overall, I think, and I applaud the writer for describing the driving experience. My city driving isn't as aggressive because I've learned that in my conditions there is nothing to be gained.

When I have to give lots of throttle to get up to speed to a freeway, I do hear the engine cranking, but it is still muted. Maybe I'm not the best judge of this, as my last car experience (smart fortwo cdi) had engine noise galore at all speeds, so I'm in heaven now with the relative quiteness of the Civic Hybrid. It's a luxury car at an economy car price.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

BTW, I can "feel" the CVT engagements, engine stop-starts, and cylinder activation/deactivation, if I pay attention. When I ignore the IMA's activity, the car is quite reasonable in driver feel and hardly any different from other automatics.