HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Navigation PC Card is better than iPod

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation PC Card is better than iPod

I went with a Sandisk CompactFlash PC Card Adapter and also a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash card. Initial testing works very easy and sounds GREAT! Probably can only get around 200 songs but that is better than carrying 10 CD's in the car!

Can the 8GB Ultra III CompactFlash cards work in this same adapter that I have or do I need an Ultra III adapter too? I think that this adapter that I currently have only works with Type II cards.

HBJ

Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J
Can the 8GB Ultra III CompactFlash cards work in this same adapter that I have or do I need an Ultra III adapter too? I think that this adapter that I currently have only works with Type II cards.

HBJ
Are you referring to the Sandisk 8GB Extreme III Compact Flash card? If so, its a Type II card and will work in your existing adapter. Yes I know its confusing but, Extreme III refers to the speed, not the card type which is something totally different.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Awesome! Thanks for that info!

HBJ

Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J
This is such a cleaner way to have mp3 music integrated instead of using an iPod connected to the aux jack. I am so glad I opted for the nav system in the car. This sounds like it will work out great. If only they would have put BlueTooth into it I would have been totally satisfied but I'm not complaining in the least. Honda is real close to achieving nirvanna!
Aux jack with the ipod video hooked up is the best option I've seen. although something like these cards + voice commands would be nice...

Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I too have an iPod video, I believe the 30gb version. However, I was looking at my usage on it one day, and realize that I only use about 5 or 10 GB of the space. Needless to say, that's about 24hrs worth of music if not more to listen to. It's also a pretty expensive piece of electronics to replace, in the event anything should ever happen to it in the car. This is one reason I've opted to use the CF & adapter. Plus, I do notice a bit clearer sound using the card as opposed to the iPod.

I actually just got the 8gb card yesterday from the Post Office. It was shipped from Hong Kong so it took a little while to get here. Oh well, I've lived with my 128MB one for a few weeks now! I did notice something in regards to the "random" play selection using the 128MB card....it's not so random afterall. It does not play track 1 - 10 in sequence per se, but it does play the same tracks in the same order as it continues to play the songs. Anyone else notice this?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Energy Independence

Yes, wick1ert, mine is the same. I wish it was truly "random" but it's no big deal.

I've been using the cheapest CF adapter I could find now for about 2 years. I think it was $2.99, at Fry's (maybe). The brand is mediaGear: cheap, plastic, and works fine with 2 different CF cards. I have an old 256MB card (Kingston, I think), and an A-Data 8GB "Speedy" card. My cards are not terribly fast; loading and indexing times are a little too long for me on the 8GB card, but I'm used to it.
This combo has worked flawlessly for me. If I had it to do over, I'd get a truly fast 8GB card and just be done with it once and for all.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wick1ert
I did notice something in regards to the "random" play selection using the 128MB card....it's not so random afterall. It does not play track 1 - 10 in sequence per se, but it does play the same tracks in the same order as it continues to play the songs. Anyone else notice this?
I've noticed this too. I have the music on my 8GB card split up into 5 folders. Anytime I pull the card out to load some new music on it, I rename the folders to something like Folder_1, Folder_2, etc., and just change the number on the end each time. Apparently the files get indexed by folder, and if you change the alphabetic order of the folder names, you change the randomization.

I know its not an ideal solution, but it helps switch things up a bit once in a while.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

I leave blank space on my card so I can log the milage and speed provided by the nav unit.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

ronnie38

Walk me thru the process to log milage and speed to nav card. How do you use/access this data?

Thanks
Rick

Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

i got 4gb card and about 500 songs but it won't scan please guide me how it works. I have a auxilliary connected with my ipod adapter will that might cause a problem and wont scan the PC card. Should i remove the ipod adapter from the auxilliary input behind my indash screen. I want this to work in my 05 honda accord please help me. thanks

Quick Reply: Navigation PC Card is better than iPod

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands