HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My Hybrid finally had a problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Scan Tool and Code

Originally Posted by jeb858
I am using a Snap on Modus scan tool and I pulled a P0A7F "Battery Deterioration" and this was after the 09-058 update. The dealer performed two alleged new updates, 01-084 and 03-002.
The IMA light is gone, much less battery assist, and the IMA battery goes belly up just as quick.
My question was addressed to bar10dah.
I also think that Honda put a band-aid type software updates to protect HV battery from premature deterioration on my HAH. It causes that IMA assist is much less powerful and fuel economy suffers too.

Last edited by drozzin; 01-11-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My Hybrid finally had a problem

Drozzin:

I used a Scangauge. I took my HAH to the dealer and they did software updates to the IMA system. The only two codes I had were P15A5 and P0000. TSB 06-021 covers the problem I had. I hope that's the update they gave me. I've put about 200 miles on my car since the update. I don't notice the IMA working any differently than it did before.

If you want to see what exactly went wrong with my car, you can go over to the thread I created here. Not much more information, but it might help someone else experiencing the same problems.

*yes, I know this is an HCH thread, but the HAH threads didn't have any mention of P15A5. And I was just looking for information concerning this code.

Last edited by bar10dah; 01-11-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added link to further info
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

I'd like to ask for advice. I have a 2006 HCH with 87,500 miles. I was getting poor (39 avg mpg) mileage for last year or so, with power dropouts (re-cals?) every few days. I then got the IMA light (Code PA07F - IMA Battery Deterioration) a few days ago and took it to the dealer. They did the service bulletin update (not sure exactly what was done) and recommended to replace the battery (out of warranty which ended at 80,000 miles) for $2500. I asked to dealer to appeal to Honda Motors since it was just slightly over the warranty mileage. Honda was willing to give relief to the tune of $1000, so now the choices are:

A) Pay $1500 and get a new battery pack.
B) Drive it like it is (I got 50 mpg on the one mostly highway trip of 30 miles so far on the updated controller software).
C) Make additional appeals to Honda to get more of the battery paid for.

Advice?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I say: do B and C with the hope that they will pay the full fare. I think the offer of $1000 is already in the bag so it does not hurt to push more.

ks

Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

I think the problem is the frequent recals result in loss of IMA assist. Depending where and how you drive, that could be dangerous if acceleration is so far reduced. Conceivably, one could drive an HCH-II with no battery and it would still provide reliable transportation, but without IMA assist, auto-stop, etc.

Me personally, I'm going to sell my Hybrid next year and use the $1,000 settlement deal to buy a regular gas 2011 Civic.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Are you aware of the class action suit that gives you additional 3% on your miles? This may mean you are still under warranty. Hal

Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM

It's actually 5%, so an extra 4,000 miles. But, doesn't matter, as you're outside your 84K mile warranty window.

However, if you took delivery of your car and it was reported to Honda that your delivery mileage was at least 3,500 miles or greater, you're still under warranty at 87,500 miles. The factory warranty doesn't begin at 0 miles. It begins at the mileage in which the car was delivered. So if your car was a "demo" and had 3,837 miles on it when you took delivery on it, your 80K factory wouldn't expire until 83,837. Plus, add onto that the additional 5% mileage (I believe the 5% is of the actual warranty period, not the extended coverage due to the delivery date) of 4,000 miles. Then your 80K warranty would be good until 87,837 miles. At least, that was how it was explained to me by the service manager.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

I went with options A and C. The replacement battery came in a few days and got replaced in a few hours, costing me $1400 out of pocket. Back to good mileage. I have still have a case open with Honda to try to get more off of the replacement and a longer warranty on the replacement IMA battery (which is only 3 yr/36k miles). I'm sure there are many cases like mine that might surface if the early IMA battery problems get more attention from NHTSA or legal action.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Astronut
Back to good mileage.
Is there a definite improvement in mileage? I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions of what a battery pack replacement does for mileage, performance, etc. Thanks, and good luck with your efforts with Honda!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
Me personally, I'm going to sell my Hybrid next year and use the $1,000 settlement deal to buy a regular gas 2011 Civic.
Agreed...my HCH II now has 56K miles on it and is back in the shop yet again for another brake system failure. I can't get ahold of that rebate fast enough to unload this car.

Quick Reply: My Hybrid finally had a problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands