HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My first tank empty, how'd I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My first tank empty, how'd I do?

Originally Posted by ryanw
I can relate. In my old car I would have done the same thing, but now I am perfectly happy sitting behind someone who is only going the speed limit.
I think we need a reformed leadfoots club around here! The funny thing is that I listened to my wife's "comments" about my speeding for 6 years before getting the HCH and now I get "comments" about driving UNDER the speed limit...

Old 07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
teh nuberz

Originally Posted by kristian
I think we need a reformed leadfoots club around here! The funny thing is that I listened to my wife's "comments" about my speeding for 6 years before getting the HCH and now I get "comments" about driving UNDER the speed limit...
OH holy crap I get that all the time now. My wife is calling me a slowpoke now and she only drives a chevy malibu.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The funny thing is that I listened to my wife's "comments" about my speeding for 6 years before getting the HCH and now I get "comments" about driving UNDER the speed limit...
Us guys just can't win...

Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

We need to form a support group for those of us that drive by the mpg gauge! I thought that I was an isolated case as well, being nagged by the Misses for driving too slowly.

And she wonders why I get 60 mpg, and she can barely get 36.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
And she wonders why I get 60 mpg, and she can barely get 36.
OUCH!

I consider myself pretty lucky. My wife tries most of the time and does pretty good. During nice weather, she'll get anywhere from the low 50s to the low 60s. It's still nice to be able to keep an entire tank to yourself every now and then, which I'm doing with my current one.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The hot Phx summer surely hit my mpg hard. I was getting between 51 & 54 per tank and this one is about 48 so I wouldn't consider this the best that you can get. When our winter comes I get about 55 mpg or so.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanw
Well I just filled up for the first time. The car was filled before I drove it off the lot and I went 430 miles before filling up. I filled up when the light went off and it took 10 gallons. Halfway through the tank, I realized that my rear tires were only at 25psi and it wasn't until about 3/4 tank that I started getting the hang of easing up off the pedal to get that extra 10mpg. It's also F-ing hot here in phoenix right now and my a/c was cranked everywhere I went. So, keeping these factors in mind, how'd I do with my first tank?
I'm hoping that this next tank will be better. Tires are aired up, K&N is on the way, and I'm getting better at going a little slower and easier on the pedal. I'm still not sure how some of you people are getting 600 miles out of a tank though.
Use K&N, void your warranty. Absolutely NO NEED for it, and it doesn't meet filtration specs. The engine can only suck in so much are. "Opening it up" for more air flow is a meaningless term, as the cylinder volume determines the maximum that WILL be sucked. The tests on dynos of K&N's are specious, as the car isn't moving, hence causing a false set of real world circumstances involving air flow through the grill, etc.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
Us guys just can't win...
Get her a "TUBA" (acronym) and you DEFINITELY win

Old 07-20-2007, 09:03 AM
teh nuberz

Originally Posted by TheBundo
Use K&N, void your warranty. Absolutely NO NEED for it, and it doesn't meet filtration specs. The engine can only suck in so much are. "Opening it up" for more air flow is a meaningless term, as the cylinder volume determines the maximum that WILL be sucked. The tests on dynos of K&N's are specious, as the car isn't moving, hence causing a false set of real world circumstances involving air flow through the grill, etc.
a K&N won't void your warranty. Say what you want about them, but they work. I put it on and noticed an instant jump in MPG. Have you ever been to a dyno? A REAL dyno has a huge fan that blows at the car as they dyno. Do you honestly think that millions of muscle car owners can be wrong? There's a reason that K&N's are so popular: they work.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Where do I sign up? I drove average 65 in the city, 85 on the highway with my other cars. My in-laws were scared to drive with us to Disneyland and other trips, and the ride was so uncomfortable for them in the back (catch all the bumps hard at 80 mph). I'm lucky now if I do 45 in the city and 68 on the highway! Now I get all the comments from the wife about going too slow. I actually go a little slower with her in the car because she has to have the A/C on when she rides with me, so I slow down a little more to try and compensate for the A/C