HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My 07 HCH lagged getting on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default My 07 HCH lagged getting on the freeway

The temp outside was 100 degrees. This is in the Culver City area. It was about 3pm when I was merging on the 405 going northbound. I stopped at the red light and then the light turns green. Usually the car would accelerate and the tach would go to about 3000 rpm. This time it didn't, it stayed around 2000 rpm and i had the gas pedal 3/4 down. I tied flooring it and it still act the same. That's when I had to slam the gears to the L position and the car finally got momentum. I had my a/c on in 2nd lowest speed. Gradually the car ran up to 30mph but very slowly. That's when I put the car in D and the car continued at normal speeds. This never happened to me. After that the car ran fine. It kind of reminded me when a car with a normal auto transmission hunts for a gear when you floor it, except that the car took way too long and there are no gears to downshift to.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: My 07 HCH lagged getting on the freeway

What was your battery SOC when this happened? From your description, it sounds like you were running in a situation where forced regen would have been happening (thus no IMA assist available), and with the a/c running you might have 50-60 horses compared to a full-assist, no a/c 110.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

I haven't had any problems accelerating even though it has been over 100 degrees here in Sacramento for the last few days. I did noticed on 2 of my normal short (~5 mile) trips that the battery would not accept a heavy charge. I had 5 bars on the SoC which should be ready to accept any and all regen you can throw at it... I was on a downhill I know that I can get 4-5 bars of regen while coasting about 40mph but today it wouldn't go higher than 2 bars of regen. I can still increase my mpg when coasting, it just won't charge the battery as much as say a 95 degree day. This is really the first I've noticed this, although we have had a mild summer at upper 80's to low 90's (up until the last 2 weeks where it has been upper 90's to low 100's). My 07 HCHII does "warm up" quickly to where I can AutoStop and regen after about 1/2 mile, so the above situation had nothing to do with the car not being warmed up. At 380 miles, my current tank mpg display shows 51.5mpg. After adjustment taking miles div by gallons it will probably be about 53mpg (my display averages 1.5 to 2 mpg lower than actual). I still have at least 275 miles I can get out of this tank, so I'm hoping I can pump it up to at least 55mpg (would be my highest tank out of 12 since I've owned the HCH).

Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
What was your battery SOC when this happened? From your description, it sounds like you were running in a situation where forced regen would have been happening (thus no IMA assist available), and with the a/c running you might have 50-60 horses compared to a full-assist, no a/c 110.
i had 5 bars at least. the wierd part is that the ima wasn't engaged when that happened