HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2007 HCH died on the freeway tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 HCH died on the freeway tonight

Hi, our 2007 HCH shut down on us tonight. We were driving home on the freeway when first, the brake system warning light came on, followed by the loss of power steering. Then, within a few seconds, the ABS light came on, followed by the passenger air bag light, oil pressure warning light, the hybrid battery warning light, check engine light and surely some others. As we made our way toward an exit offramp, the dash lights began to flicker, and by the time we came to a stop, the car was totally dead. We actually had to push it around the corner, where it was towed. We'll hear from the shop in the morning, but for now, any ideas what went wrong? I've read of some ignition switch issues, but that seems like it would lead to a sudden shut-down, whereas ours took a minute or two altogether. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the IMA (which was replaced about 40K miles ago). Car has been good up until now. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 HCH died on the freeway tonight

Update -- it's apparently something related to the DC to DC voltage converter. I see there was a recall for 2006-07 HCH issued in 2011, but for whatever reason, my HCH (an '07 model) was not included, even though I've apparently had the exact same issue. Was told it's covered by some sort of state/federal warranty and that I should get my car back tomorrow.

I see someone posted about this last year (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...failure-27663/), and I hope I won't experience this another seven times.

Here's Honda's statement about the recall: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=5926-en

Add'l advice/insight/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.