HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MPG Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default MPG Update

10,777 miles ago I was averaging 45mpg per tank.
At that time I had the rear control arm replaced under recall, put on new tires and had an oil change.

My FE over the 10,777 miles is 40.

I had an oil change recently and the FE has not increased.

I've adjusted tire PSI up/down/everywhere searching for FE to no gain.

I can only come to the colclusion that the tires are the cause (since others with the control arm dont report FE issues). Perhaps as the tires wear like the OEM's I'll get better FE, but I doubt it.

Goodyear FuelMax.

Wish I had gone with OEM's.

BTW - I have 50k on the car, same drive each day for 12yrs...it's not my driving style is my point, so I ruled that out.

Odd how this "issue" has casued me to fall out of favor with the car.

Perhaps the 335D BMW to hold me over to the next hybrid/elec generation in 2 years where we get consistent 60+ MPG.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG Update

Hello Dusty:
I have a 2006 HCH. Tuesday I drove to Colvile WA. and return. The speed limit on this stretch of I- 395 is 55 mph. I drove there and return at 50 mph with CC 90% of the time. When I arrived home the mpg showed 57.8 mpg. I'm running with the Dunlaps and pressed to 44 lbs. front and 40 aft. I know that people are doing much better than this but it requires a scan-gauge and some pretty fancy driving ,IE trying too stay in the 32 deg to 35 deg timing range.Slowing down makes a big difference in mpg?
Cheers,
Hal

Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Was the last 10k miles during the winter? You said your drive hasn't changed, but has the way you drive changed? (meaning, maybe you don't "work" the car like you used to for maximum FE).

I used to average mid 50s, and my lifetime mileage has slowly fallen down to 49.96 on the last tank (a milestone since I dipped below 50mpg for the first time in years). However, I've got a new commute that isn't as favorable for the HCH and I'm running studded snow tires (averaging 42.5mpg with snows). I agree with your thoughts that the car isn't nearly as fun when your numbers aren't as good as they used to be. I still really like the car though.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Hello Dusty:
I have a 2006 HCH. Tuesday I drove to Colvile WA. and return. The speed limit on this stretch of I- 395 is 55 mph. I drove there and return at 50 mph with CC 90% of the time. When I arrived home the mpg showed 57.8 mpg. I'm running with the Dunlaps and pressed to 44 lbs. front and 40 aft. I know that people are doing much better than this but it requires a scan-gauge and some pretty fancy driving ,IE trying too stay in the 32 deg to 35 deg timing range.Slowing down makes a big difference in mpg?
Cheers,
Hal
I like using CC almost exclusively when I drive this car, as well as pulse and glide with the steering wheel controls backing off any acceleration or increased RPMs going up inclines/ramps/hills, and gas pedal plus reset for any needed increases in speed. I drive at 58 MPH on the highway and about 40 -45 on service roads.

across all weather and tire conditions I get 47-52 MPG. Although this is a large range, when you actually sit down and calculate the difference in mileage over 10 or 11 gallons of gas, it ain't that much. The difference is usually a tire pressure issue as weather goes from cold to warm and vice versa. I had the control arms replaced quite a while ago.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM

I am very happy with that kind of numbers. H