HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Major probs with 06 CH

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Major probs with 06 CH

Hi all-first time really ever being on this board, so apologize in advance if this is a repeat. (Hopefully it is, then I can finally get my car fixed).

So it all started last month when I was on the interstate and my car revved really high rpm's and would not drop. I would let the car slow down from 75 to 50 and would still be at close to 4000rpm. Previous to this, I would get roughly 50mpg with a good 40 miles a day running at 75mph. Car was excellent. This whole interstate prob lasted until I got the car in and turned it off. Came back to crank the car and the power steering pump light was on, had no power steering, and the IMA light was on. Called the dealership-took the car in, they basically had no idea but put in a new computer and a relay. Pick the car up 4 days later, drive it out of the parking lot and the IMA light was on. Take it back, they put in another computer and relay switch. Pick it up a few days later, get it home, the very next day I crank it and the power steering is out and IMA light on. Turn the car off, recrank and everything is fine. Take it back to the dealership who has it for approx. 4 days and calls to say that my satellite radio was hooked up to the wrong fuse (10a) and causing all these probs. The dealership effectively spent roughly $4000 between two weeks worth of rental cars and two $1500 computers plus relays, not including labor. Unhook the satellite radio, drive the car for two days, everything seems fine. Take the car to the place that installed the radio, they call the dealership to find out where to tie into a fuse, and dealership tells them to go to the ignition harness. Installer says this will not create a prob and that is where they tie in alarm systems. During this time, the gas mileage had dropped to 35mpg, dealership claims they tied into an srs fuse, which going by my manual, I dont see a fuse inside the car that looks to control that, but whatever, I am not a tech. When I get the car back, gas mileage is a little better at 45, still not what I normally get, and it seems to still be running a little high rpm's. Two days later, back on the interstate, and the car is still not downshifting. Call the dealership who first thing says did they hook up your satellite radio again, b/c now I guess we will have a prob since Honda picked up that bill. Dealership says that service manager is "actively involved" to make sure it is not an installation problem. But honestly, I have only had the car for like 4 days! Any ideas????? Trying to be specific in case the devil is in the details!

Old 11-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Major probs with 06 CH

The transmission thing sounds like something another member reported several months ago. I don't remember the thread subject off hand but he said it had something to do with a tire being mismatched and throwing off the car's computers. (Wheels on the same axle turning at different and unexpected rotational speeds I guess.)

Old 11-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

HA!!!! Well how about my front passenger tire blew out about two months ago, so I had to get another one, which meant three tires with 15,000 mi and 1 tire with 0 miles. Funny thing is that the transmission only stays high rpm's at fast speeds, like interstate speeds. What to say to the dealer?

Old 11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast

come to think of it, the dealership balanced the tires directly after I purchased the single tire(from a different place) b/c dealer said that it was wearing tread so they aligned and balanced

Old 11-08-2006, 02:51 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

find the thread brick referred to, and show it to your dealer.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 AM

Here it is:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...blem.9841.html

Sounds like your problem exactly. High RPMs at freeway speeds.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What a great site.

Good luck Candy!

Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The high RPM's sounds like the same issue, but I don't recall any problems with power steering or IMA light on the other case. Might just be an incredible coincidence (about the replaced tire). Worth asking about, though!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

well I called the place I bought the tire, the guy was incredibly nice & said he would replace all 4 tires for the price of 3 and he knew of those probs in 4wd, but hasn't really messed with the hybrid. Called the dealer, and they say they don't think so, bring the car in and let them look at it. They pretty much swear up one side and down another that the installers of the radio are causing all these probs. So, I guess we will see in another week when they get done with it!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:06 PM

The original poster in that other thread gives the dealer and the name of the service manager (or maybe the tech) with whom he dealt. If I were you I would give them a call tomorrow rather than wait for your dealer to mess around for another week. Maybe putting the two of them in touch would expedite your repair if, in fact, this is the same issue.

Electronic interference can be a legitimate concern but I really don't understand how an XM radio plugged into the wrong fuse would mess the computers up that badly. Does this happen when the radio isn't turned on? I ask because the radio physically shouldn't generate any kind of energy that could be harmful until you switch it on. And at that point the radio would have to be seriously messed up to do that much harm to the electrical system of your car. Things like radar detectors, which are listening for a faint signal, are sensitive to this. Vehicle control modules? I'm never going to say it's impossible, but the likelihood is pretty small.